Answered

please help me out (sonos on windows xp)

• 26 June 2022
  • 4 replies

At work we have this sonos device connected to a windows xp.. its completely useless. The sonos app on pc is called Version 7.1, all options are basically greyed out. All we want to do is play our own music. Another problem is that we don't have access to the wifi that the pc is using, its some private airport wifi. So we cant connect our phone... i noticed the sonos box has an ethernet port. Is there perhaps some kind of usb that makes it so i can connect my phone to the sonos box? But i guess it wouldnt work with 4G?

We have already tried to reinstall the app, repair the app etc etc, nothing works..

The only thing that works without problems is to use the radio stations.. so i was wondering, how hard would it be to make my own online radio and just search for it on sonos? Please don't tell me im out of options.. we want to play good music for our customers..

icon

Best answer by ratty 26 June 2022, 09:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You're talking about an operating system that Microsoft hasn't supported for 8 years, and Sonos hasn't supported for years either. The Sonos software version 7.1 is wildly out of date 

I very much doubt anyone here, user or Sonos staff, will be able to assist as things currently stand. Your Sonos hardware is still supported however, so with a more up to date PC you'd be able to get things going again. 

Sigh :(..... so, is it pretty much impossible to make my own online radio aswell then that sonos can spot?

You'd think I could atleast drag in mp3 files? There is a library button, but that too is greyed out.

Can't i make the speakers play straight from the pc? I heard you can use spotify to play from sonos too, but there is no sonos icon on our spotify.

Given your ancient, unsupported PC operating system, wildly out-of-date Sonos firmware, absence of WiFi and lack of understanding of what you are dealing with, i have to agree with @ratty that this is not workable as it stands..  

Can't i make the speakers play straight from the pc? I heard you can use spotify to play from sonos too, but there is no sonos icon on our spotify.

The Spotify Connect facility requires much later Sonos firmware than the ancient version you’re running. 

If the PC controller will cooperate you might just be able to get the Sonos unit to play its RCA line-in. Hook up the sound card from the PC to the line-in jacks and you could possibly play the PC audio. Alternatively use a regular amplifier instead of the Sonos unit.