Answered

Playbar or Beam better for someone hard of hearing?

• 16 October 2018
  • 6 replies

I am trying to help my father-in-law set up a system for his living room. He is very hard of hearing and has trouble watching tv because he can't understand what people are saying. I am thinking a Sonos system with surround speakers might work for him. I wonder whether the Playbar or the Beam would be better for this application. His living room is not large and I think the Beam has a lot of features he would really like. I would choose it without hesitation if his hearing weren't an issue. The other option I'm thinking of but haven't yet looked into is if there would be a wireless headset available that he could use in conjunction with the Sonos system for watching tv. His wife would enjoy it if he didn't have to turn the whole system up really loud. Thoughts?
icon

Best answer by Chris 16 October 2018, 22:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Beam is more focused sound where Playbar is more encompassing. For hard of hearing the Beam may be better choice of the two.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is no wireless headset that could be easily incorporated into sonos.

Only thing you could do is group a Sonos One with the Beam and have the Sonos One right beside his listening position.
I’ve got a few years on me and my hearing isn’t as good as it once was. I had a Sony soundbar and it was difficult for me to understand the dialogue sometimes, especially if I was streaming movies. I got a Beam and added a Sub to it. I picked the Beam because it hooksto the tv with a HDMI (ARC) connection. Whereas the Playbar links wirelessly and may drop out if the wireless connection is weak. The clarity is much, much better with the Beam ( as opposed to the Sony). I do recommend getting a Sub, but if you’re doing a complete surround system I think it will definitely help your Father-in Law.
Userlevel 7
Hi mt2000

I own both Playbar and Beam. IMO the Beam would be adequate in an average size room. If you're looking for more at lower levels then I'd go with a Playbar. However there are more considerations...if your father-in-law is not keen on voice commands (i.e. Alexa) then that feature of the Beam would be lost on him. If his TV does not have an HDMI_ARC Port then that feature of the Beam would be unused as you'd be back to an optical connection as on the Playbar. In the end if cost is not an issue it comes down to simplicity with the Playbar or features with the Beam.

Surround speakers can be added to either the Playbar or Beam; however, surrounds are not going to help with hearing as the sound produced is secondary to the main audio. Also, it depends on the type of programming he watches not all have a surround channel.

Ironically, to help his hearing you might forego the surrounds and invest in a Beam with Sub. Such a combination would focus more of the vocal to the Beam for better clarity and send the low end to the sub where it belongs. I know some of the Beams features may go unused but IMO the combo of Beam and sub is a better mix than Beam or Playbar with surrounds (financially). Besides in any event it you want to use wireless headphones the surround aspect would be negated; at least for him.

I know my fellow members are saying but wait...Sonos does not support wireless headsets...and they are right. However, there's always a work-around. You could invest in the Beam or Playbar with no surrounds and then purchase a wireless headset with transmitter. The transmitter would plug into the RCA audio outputs of the TV (rear panel) and allow him to wear the headset while everyone else enjoys the sound from the Beam or Playbar. If you want to splurge ($$$) you could still invest in surrounds and/or a sub for everyone else. Here again I recommend the sub...just my choice given your objective as he could possibly feel the low-end when wearing the wireless headset.

I know it's a lot to digest but hopefully you can arrive at a decision based upon the specific needs of your father-in-law (and his embrace of technology) Good Luck!

Here's a link for wireless headsets: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wireless+headphones+with+transmitter&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=173535481879&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11701312010218558124&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9023910&hvtargid=kwd-3217958908&ref=pd_sl_55r5jd38fk_e

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Problem is a lot of TVs these days don't have RCA out. You may have to have an adapter to plug in the digital out. Or an extractor if only HDMI audio out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I picked up a Bluetooth transmitter that pairs with my hearing aids, it lets me pipe plenty of sound directly to my ears without having to blast other folks out of the room. I put it on the TV optical output and added an optical switch so I can also connect it to my ZP-80 (Connect) optical output so I can have Sonos music too, all without spousal unhappiness.

It is delayed from the TV speakers a small amount so you get a bit of an echo using both but it works well enough I'm happy.

Another solution that is working well for me in two different locations is a very close speaker or two. I have a Play 5 on my recliner side table about 3 feet from my ears and a pair of Play 3s about 3 feet away in my computer workstation. Close enough I can play them loud enough to enjoy without blasting the rest of the house.

For your situation a Bluetooth transmitter and Bluetooth headphones might be a good enough option, there will be a delay in the sound compared to the on TV speakers though.

For a Beam you might set it up without surrounds and group it with a pair of Play 1s sitting near his ears. That should give you a full stereo sound field close to his ears that he can adjust the volume on easily without having to crank up the Beam.