PlayBar no longer working via Optical

• 11 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi.

I have 3 devices that I normally use with my playbar (satbox, dvd, AppleTV).

All used to work fine but now they’ve all stopped working.

I reset the playbar and reinstalled it without any issues (normally meaning the playbar actually hears the ‘tv’ signal)

I also brought a new 50m optical cable (not cheap and possibly not needed) but this has not fixed the issue.

I think the problem might originate from the lastest update, as all was good before.

I can still stream music no problem and use inline via connect without a problem.

So, ideas please...

Cheers,
Luke

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

In the past, I had an issue where my TV manufacturer pushed out an update to their firmware that changed the settings on my TV. Fortunately, it only happened the one time, but it might be worth going in to double check the audio settings on the TV to make sure that they're set properly for the Sonos, i.e. locked down to Dolby Digital, the optical connection on, and set to fixed rather than variable, all other sound options turned off...

Do you have the ability to connect that PLAYBAR via the optical cable to any of those other devices you mentioned? Might be a useful test to reduce the variables between the signal and the PLAYBAR, and help define where the issue lies. It's not impossible that the PLAYBAR is broken, although I would think it highly unlikely. Much more likely that there's an issue with it getting an appropriate signal passed through to it.

At the end of the day, you may be best served to contact Sonos to discuss it.
Hi Bruce,

I’ve tried with a dvd played, Apple TV and BeIN sports satbox... all used to work and now they don’t.

I’ve checked all the setting and everything appears correct.

I’ve also reinstalled the playbar which stated that it had recieved a signal via the optical port which I why I was thinking (hoping) maybe a software glitch..
DId you try connecting the optical cable from the PLAYBAR directly to one of those other devices, rather than to the TV set, to see?

If that doesn't change anything, then I'd really suggest that you contact Sonos to discuss it.
Hi Bruce,

Yeah I tried all 3 input devices - no luck.

Thank you for your help, I’ll contact Sonos directly
Sorry I couldn't be more help. Best of luck!
My playbar suddenly refused to play the audio from the tv. I tried all the settings on the tv but the playbar never recognised the tv as a source, instead said no music selected. I then happened to try the DVD which is connected to the tv via hdmi and the Sonos recognised it and played the audio. The mysky or Netflix etc or any other sourse won’t play though the playbar.
Based on that data, I'd assume that the Netflix or mysky(never heard of this) have their audio settings put to something other than Dolby Digital, or stereo.