Answered

Play different radio stations at same time

• 26 January 2017
  • 10 replies

I'm trying to work out if I have a fault or not. Play tunein radio fine but when I select 2 different stations on 2 different devices, my new sonos connect stops playing unless I group the devices and play the same station. Is this a limitation or a problem?
icon

Best answer by John B 28 January 2017, 00:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Update... Found the resolution. It seems that all players have to be either hardwired or wireless and it works fine. Having one wireless and one wired creates the described problem!!?? Wouldn't have thought that should make a difference??
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No it shouldn't. You probably have wireless interference causing issues to the stream
Agreed that could be a problem but if they are both on wireless, it works absolutely fine. I'd say that rules out the wireless?? All updated to latest version too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When you wire 1 to the router are you moving it closer to the router? If it's too close you may get interfernce
Nope. Location never changes if wired or wireless
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
i have 7 Sonos devices, some wired and some wireless. i can play whatever i want on whichever speaker i want. this is how it should operate, so you most definitely have some type of issue. IP conflict perhaps? power cycle your router and both Sonos units
Here is one possible explanation. When both are wireless, only your wifi is involved, so nothing to interfere with the wifi signal.. When both are wired, both your wifi and SonosNet are active, but any interference doesn't matter because they are wired.

But when only one is wired, interference between wifi and SonosNet could affect the wireless speaker. Are your wifi and Sonos wireless channels the same? They need to be well separated. If you aren't sure, just try changing the Sonos channel in Advanced Settings. And don't place the wired player close to the router.
That's the one @John B!!
I have a large network and the wifi covers the whole house very well. I think I'm just out of range for the 'sonos high performance wifi' so giving problems. I've found a bridge also resolves the issue.
Would be nice to be able to always use the house wifi regardless if a device is hardwired or not?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That's the one @John B!!
I have a large network and the wifi covers the whole house very well. I think I'm just out of range for the 'sonos high performance wifi' so giving problems. I've found a bridge also resolves the issue.
Would be nice to be able to always use the house wifi regardless if a device is hardwired or not?!

That doesn't really make sense in my opinion. If you want the system to use Wi-Fi and not Sonos Net then just don't wire a Sonos unit. But honestly if you are in a borderline wireless environment then having 1 unit wired to create SonosNet should be the optimal solution as Sonos will determine how best each unit should connect. You may become susceptible to interference if you wire a unit and of course if your ranges are large then interference will be more and more relevant.

These days if you can't wire a Play unit to the router the Boost is the way to go and has better range than the Bridge.
Simple really; I like things to be hardwired where ever possible and not clogg up the wifi with everything hanging off it, interfering with each other but also the flexibility to move a player (to say the garden occasionally) and have it hook up to my wifi, that I know covers everywhere, and connect seamlessly, without worrying if I'm close enough to connect to 'Sonos wifi'.