Play:5 with AopleTV 4K Airplay2 loses audio sync

• 1 September 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a stereo pair of Play:5 gen2 speakers (stunning audio!) which are used for Apple TV 4K sound output via Airplay2. Randomly, the speakers will lose audio sync with the video, and the only way I have found to correct it is to go into the Apple TV audio settings, disconnect the Sonos speakers and reconnect them. It happens randomly, not all the time. Both Netflix and Amazon video have this problem. This is with the latest tvOS 11.x update. The Apple TV is set to never sleep. tvOS 12 is due very soon so I will see if that fixes the issue. The Play:5 speakers are connected to a Sonos boost AP and have static IPs assigned, so there is lots of available bandwidth. The Apple TV is connected to the same gigabit network switch as the Boost via Ethernet cable, not WiFi. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how the problem can be fixed?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Ooops! Typo error, title should read Apple TV 4K . 😞
Not offhand, but I would recommend that the next time you experience it, you submit a diagnostic to Sonos, and post the number here.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I had a pair of Ones set up via AirPlay to my Apple 4K tv. The sound was fine 95% of the time. Randomly the sound sync was off. It got to the point I purchased a Beam using ARC last week. The sound is always in sync with the beam and I have the Ones in separate rooms of the house for music. My thought is the software (both Apple and Sonos)will get better and eventually there will not be a syncing issue with AirPlay 2 until then I have a Beam. This is my way of saying, I don’t think there is anything you can do but wait it out. IOS 12 is around the corner. It is a wait and see
Thanks for the replies. I agree that I should be patient and see what upgrades from Apple TV and Sonos will bring. It's too bad that I can't use the Play:5 speakers as members of a fake separate "room" so I can run them via a Beam, but the good folks at Sonos tell me it wouldn't work, so I'd still be using Airplay for them. The Play:5's are stunning devices, with enough low frequency power to literally shake the floor, along with very smooth mid and upper frequency response. 😃