Answered

Play 5 surround orientation

• 25 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hello all. In the middle of rearranging my tv room and was going to toy around with swapping my Play 1s that I use for surrounds with my pair of Play 5s.(gen 2) I use the current 5.1 setup for music/tv/movies. I ran across an article on Reddit that said if the Play 5s are used for surrounds, that they have to be in the vertical position, but this was the only post I could find (anywhere) that stated this. Is this at all correct? Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 26 August 2018, 02:57

The Play 5 Gen 2 does change the sound based on orientation but every suggestion I've seen from users it to try both and see if either sounds better. I fooled with mine a while back as a stereo pair and found very little difference in the sound.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1066?language=en_US

Even for music, how much sound are you going to get out of the surrounds?

I'd be tempted to use the Play 5s as a stereo pair (not part of the 5.1 setup but possibly grouped with it) at the front of the room and keep the Play 1s as surrounds, Buy the kids their own Play 1s or Sonos Ones.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks Airgetlam for the response. I know they will be overkill for movies but they will serve double duty for music. I was going to use the Play 1s for my kids rooms since they would be less of a financial loss (just in case, ya know) :8
I was skeptical about the orientation of the Play 5s but just wanted to make sure before I bought some wall mounts. Thanks again!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Play 5 Gen 2 does change the sound based on orientation but every suggestion I've seen from users it to try both and see if either sounds better. I fooled with mine a while back as a stereo pair and found very little difference in the sound.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1066?language=en_US

I'd be tempted to use the Play 5s as a stereo pair (not part of the 5.1 setup but possibly grouped with it) at the front of the room and keep the Play 1s as surrounds, Buy the kids their own Play 1s or Sonos Ones.
I don't think it makes any difference which orientation they are in. Try them both, see which sounds better to your ears.

IMHO, PLAY:5s are overkill for surround sound. If it were me, I'd use them elsewhere as music sources, and keep the PLAY:1s as the surround. But your mileage may vary. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sorry hit the wrong button. I am not sure what you mean by that. Even now with the Play 1s I have them set to full and if the level is high enough, they could easily drown out my play bar when playing music.