Answered

Play 3 for TV and Projector

• 5 August 2019
  • 3 replies

I bought 5 boxes play 3 and 1 sub and would like to use connected on tv and projector sometimes. How to make?
icon

Best answer by Jeovane Firmo 5 August 2019, 04:25

code:
so even if i want to connect only 1 sub with 2 play 3 would i need an amp or beam?
wanted to use in this environment always connected to the projector or tv.
View original

3 replies

Not possible. None of the devices you purchased have line in of any type.

In order to get Dolby Digital signals into the Sonos ecosystem, you need a Sonos Amp, or a PLAYBAR, or a PLAYBASE, or a Beam.

Sonos software does not allow 5 separate devices of any type to be used in a home theater setup. The Amp drives a front right and left, with a phantom channel, the three soundbars all have the three front speakers in a single device.

That being said, I've got a pair of PLAY:3s in my bedroom, and they're outstanding music speakers.
code:
so even if i want to connect only 1 sub with 2 play 3 would i need an amp or beam?
wanted to use in this environment always connected to the projector or tv.
You have to have some method by which the audio stream enters the Sonos ecosystem.

if you want Stereo, and a minor delay, you could use the analog input on a CONNECT or a Sonos Amp. If you want a Dolby Digital (5.1) signal, you’ll need the digital inputs of the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE, or Beam, all of which accept an optical input, or the Beam or Sonos Amp, both of which accept an HDMI-ARC input.

Note that for a true Sonos 5.1 speaker system, you must use one of the Sonos soundbars. The Sonos Amp does interpret a 5.1 signal, but uses the right and left speakers to create a “phantom” center channel, allowing a 4.1 system.

There is no solution on the Sonos ecosystem that allows you to use 5 Sonos speakers to set up a 5.1 system.