Play:1 Stereo Pairs or Mono setup with Sub

• 26 August 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi Guys,
So I am moving house this week and super excited about setting up my system. I have already been using my 5.1 setup with the Playbar, 2 Play:1 surrounds and Sub. I have gone ahead and purchased 4 more Play:1s that im going to setup in the open plan kitchen/living room. I debated having two Play:5s but went for the 1s after many spatial and financial considerations.

When i have friends around im going to bring the sub down temporarily from my cinema setup. My question is, would you setup the 4 Play:1s as 2 stereo pairs or 4 mono units, given that i want to use the sub? From what I have read on here the stereo separation sounds awesome but i can only link the sub to 1 pair with the other pair not benefitting from the high pass filter kicking in when the sub is added. I guess i will play around when i move house but just looking to see if anyone has this kind of setup currently. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Using the SUB with any of the 4 PLAY:1s means not using it as part of the 5.1 setup, making it 5.0. Or at least it becomes a somewhat arduous task to switch the bonding of it between the PLAYBAR and the other speakers. I’d recommend just trying the PLAY:1s on their own, without the SUB, and see how they sound.

As to whether t o stereo pair, or leave them as mono point speakers, that has more to do with what kind of listening you’re trying to do. In general, if I’m trying to fill a space that I’m moving around in, I go with mono speakers, but if I’m mostly going to be stationary in the space, I’d do stereo. But that’s a very general thing. The nice thing about Sonos is that you can try both with relative ease, and see which one works better for your circumstances, your music, and your ears.
Thank you for your response Bruce. I will have a play and see what fits best. Moving day ETA is 48hrs so all my kit is boxed up now and ready to test over the weekend ?.
You're most welcome. Enjoy moving (having done it recently, I hope yours goes better than mine!)