play 1 issue

• 3 August 2019
  • 7 replies

I have several sonos play 1 and a beam that work great; however tried adding another play 1 and it won’t add/work. I see you have a major issue with audible on your site. Is this causing my issue or can you assist me.

7 replies

Are you adding the PLAY:1 as a new “room”, or trying to put it in a “room “ that is already “full”?

I’m not sure any current issues with Amazon’s Audible service would have any impact on adding a speaker.
I had added successfully added it several days ago, and it worked, until yesterday. It did not appear in my rooms listing. When I tried to re-add it would not work. I tried rebooting WiFi and also direct wired it to the router, but nothing worked.
Sorry. Yes I added as a new room.
Ah, great information to have, most helpful.

So, what it seems is that it's lost connection to your wifi network for some reason, so let's work on that issue.

First thing, let's do a refresh of your LAN, in case we're dealing with a duplicate IP address issue. Low probability, but it's no cost, and actually can be beneficial for your network.

Unplug all of your Sonos devices from power. While they're unplugged, reboot your router (would be nice to know what router you have, perhaps others might have some suggestions based on that). Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices, and wait a minute, then open up the controller and see if the PLAY:1 shows back up in your controller. In all honesty, while this is a low probability item, I do think this will work.

If not, then go ahead and wire it to your router with an ethernet cable. Open up the controller again, and see if it shows up. If so, submit a system diagnostic and contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

Frankly, even if it doesn't show up at this point, I'd recommend that you contact Sonos support. If neither of those two suggestions get you anywhere, you may have a faulty unit that needs replacement, and the only way to do that is through Sonos support.
Thanks Bruce. With your instructions, I was able to get the speaker working, with the old pairing with the beam, but I had separated it to work independently. I went through the set up mode several times and it’s not working. I will contact support Monday. Thanks for the help.
Interesting. Glad to have gotten you at least part way. Would be interested if you post back what you find out from Sonos support. I wonder if there's something blocking the 5Ghz connection in some fashion. Generally speaking, if they can connect as a "room", they should be able to be attached as "surrounds". It's, as near as I know, just a definition change in the Sonos system, along with a corresponding switch from 2.4Ghz connection to your router to a 5Ghz connection to your Beam.
Which it amuses me to say "it's just"....not being a coder, I've got absolutely no clue how complex a switch is really is.

Keep me posted, if you'd be so kind 🙂