Answered

Pairing subwoofer to Playbase question

• 12 January 2018
  • 4 replies

Badge +3
When locating the subwoofer, is the pairing stronger (enhanced) when the subwoofer is closer to the Play-base?
icon

Best answer by bockersjv 12 January 2018, 14:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Unless you are taking about the subwoofer being in another room, or your room is huge, it make no difference.
Badge +3
Thank you for response.
It’s not a large room. I enjoy listening to classical music ( as well as almost any other music) and I’d like to place the subwoofer on the far right away from the Playbase, in the position where I think to percussion and bass instruments may be located in an orchestra lineup....if you understand my reasoning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I get you 😃
In reality, sub bass is non-directional, so it is more important to place it where it sounds good, rather than where the sound should be coming from. Because sub bass signals are long in wavelength, it is easy for room features to cause "standing waves" where one wave crosses over another, cancelling each other out, resulting in a null area where the bass is reduced or non-existent. The old trick we used to use when setting up a home theater would be to place the Sub in the listening position and then crawling around on the floor to find a spot that sounded great and putting the sub there.