Question

pairing one Play5 to home theatre

• 29 October 2019
  • 3 replies

I already have 2 play 1 and a beam i am thinking about adding a play 5 to my system making it a 5.1 system but was not sure if it is practical 

I prefer play5 over a SUB because I use my system in parties as well so thought I can get more powerfull sound with play 5 plus i can use the inline feature to connect my turntable 

Any thought if this combination works 

3 replies

This wouldn’t be advisable. First, you can’t add the PLAY:5 to the current Beam and PLAY:1s you have as surrounds. You’d have to set it up as a second “room” in the Sonos software, and group the two “rooms” together. This means that there would be a 75ms delay between the Beam’s sound and the PLAY:5’s sound, when playing the TV so it would sound like an echo. Essentially, in order to make it 5.1, you must use the SUB.

But that’s only for TV sound. If you’re talking about streaming music, then yes, get the PLAY:5. Streaming music to both rooms would be 100% in sync. Would sound great for parties, and indeed you could use the line-in jack on the back to get your turntable sound into the Sonos ecosystem.

Userlevel 7

One more point to add to@Airgetlam ‘s response. Your turntable must have either a pre-amp built-in or you’ll have to use a 3rd party external pre-amp before you can use the line-in of a Play 5.

You may get your desire for better sound by adding the sub as the acoustics will greatly improve not only for TV and movies but for music as well. I assume you already know that you can set your surrounds to auto-switch to Full-On stereo speakers when playing music and auto-switch back to surround mode when the music stops. :thinking:

I gather you intended to use the Play 5 in the same room as the Beam. However, if you audition the sub with your current setup you may decide there’s no need for the Play 5. To bring your turntable into the mix you might consider the Sonos Port with RCA input. A pre-amp is still required.

If you still feel you need additional volume I suggest investing in the Sonos sub and Sonos One SL x 2.  The sub would still be bonded to your Beam. The Sonos One SL’s could be configured as stereo pair or placed strategically in the listening/party as separates to augment music. A Sonos Port cold still be considered for Turntable use.

I realize I just spent a lot of your hard earned money :wink:.   I just want you to be appraised of your options to get you where you want to be in the Sonos eco-system. 

Cheers!

One more point to add to@Airgetlam ‘s response. Your turntable must have either a pre-amp built-in or you’ll have to use a 3rd party external pre-amp before you can use the line-in of a Play 5.

You may get your desire for better sound by adding the sub as the acoustics will greatly improve not only for TV and movies but for music as well. I assume you already know that you can set your surrounds to auto-switch to Full-On stereo speakers when playing music and auto-switch back to surround mode when the music stops. :thinking:

I gather you intended to use the Play 5 in the same room as the Beam. However, if you audition the sub with your current setup you may decide there’s no need for the Play 5. To bring your turntable into the mix you might consider the Sonos Port with RCA input. A pre-amp is still required.

If you still feel you need additional volume I suggest investing in the Sonos sub and Sonos One SL x 2.  The sub would still be bonded to your Beam. The Sonos One SL’s could be configured as stereo pair or placed strategically in the listening/party as separates to augment music. A Sonos Port cold still be considered for Turntable use.

I realize I just spent a lot of your hard earned money :wink:.   I just want you to be appraised of your options to get you where you want to be in the Sonos eco-system. 

Cheers!

it is gonna cost fortune