Answered

outdoor projector audio

• 8 July 2019
  • 2 replies

Want to say thanks in advance as this seems like a great community full of helpful responses.

I recently purchased a BenQ 2050 projector to use as (weather permitting) an outdoor theater with Apple TV 4K . I have outdoor speakers which are connected to an indoor Onkyo receiver (which also has a sonos connect on input 1). My first thought was to take use the projectors audio out aux port and connect it directly to one of the open inputs on my onkyo receiver. To do this I had to buy a 100ft aux 3.5mm cable and then an adapter to hook up into the red and white analog inputs on the onkyo. I don’t mind the long cable running across the yard as this is a very temporary setup. When I hooked it all up I kept getting a “buzzing” sound out of my outdoor speakers. Not sure if the run was too long, or if the audio cable was of bad quality.

so my next thought is to get this connected to my sonos ecosystem. What is the best way to do this? I’m using Apple TV 4K connected to my benq2050 protector. Inside I have an onkyo 8270 receiver with sonos connect to my outdoor speakers
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 8 July 2019, 15:53

Not surprised that 3.5mm cable gave you a buzzing noise, I tried that myself years ago and go the same thing. I believe the cable wasn't really properly shielded for that length. Anyway, I'd personally look at using a a good quality 100ft RCA cable (around $50), with a Y adapter to bring it 3.5mm. You could also look at leaving the Apple TV next to the receiver, and bring the HDMI video out to the projector...but that's a lot more expensive and you probably want the Apple TV near the projector for control purposes.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not surprised that 3.5mm cable gave you a buzzing noise, I tried that myself years ago and go the same thing. I believe the cable wasn't really properly shielded for that length. Anyway, I'd personally look at using a a good quality 100ft RCA cable (around $50), with a Y adapter to bring it 3.5mm. You could also look at leaving the Apple TV next to the receiver, and bring the HDMI video out to the projector...but that's a lot more expensive and you probably want the Apple TV near the projector for control purposes.
Thanks Danny...bought a nice quality rca cable and an adapter for 3.5mm. Will try it out soon.