Question

Optical adapter not found in setup

• 18 July 2019
  • 6 replies

Have tried 2 different Sonos optical adapters to connect to my 4 year old LG TV that doesn’t have HDMI ARC. Every time it says “Adapter not found”
in the TV setup screen. What should I do?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
What tv model? Have you asked LG what settings you need to use? Are you sending a Dolby Digital output from the TV - this and stereo/PCM is the only signal the Beam will recognise.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
What are you trying to achieve? Are you trying to connect a Beam tot the optical out of your TV? If so, the “adaptor not found” message does not sound logical to me.
Yes just trying to listen to my TV sound through my Sonos system but every time I try to hook it up, I get that message no matter what I try to do with the connector or which HDMI cable or connector I try
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Can you at least tell us what Sonos devices you are trying to Connect to your TV?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Is the message on the TV or the Sonos app?
Userlevel 7
Hi luke81midd

That's a strange message. The LG would not know that you are using an optical adapter. All that should be required reference your LG settings is to select optical or digital out in its audio menu. Therefore I believe it has more to do with the Beam.

Since your setup appears to be NEW I'm going to recommend a factory reset of the Beam. Click the link for instructions. Note: Ordinarily I would not recommend this as there are irreversible consequences. Be sure to read those in the link before proceeding. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096?language=en_US

Make sure you have removed the protective cap from the Optical adapter before you insert it into your TV. Also make sure that both ends of the HDMI cable are seated properly to the adaptor and Beam. If problem persists you have the following options:
  1. Return the Beam to retailer as defective (if still within the return window)
  2. Call Sonos Tech support for assistance
Let us know things sort out. Cheers!