Question

one SL’s in surround set up.. right louder than left?!

• 16 October 2020
  • 18 replies

My setup:

Arc 

Sub (gen 3)

2 x one SL’s

With a true play on. 
The right surround is much louder than the left. 
True playoff. Balanced sound. 

Swapped one SL's around and also done true play tuning at least 8 times. 

Regardless of this, it’s still the same!!!

Surrounds are in a square room, symmetrical and equidistant to seating location with no obstructions! 

Sonos customer support doesn’t seem to know?

Anyone else? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @marko2 , thank you for reaching us out and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue and all your effort in checking for the resolution. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

1. Is the surround audio in full stereo?
2. Did increasing the volume of the surrounds on the Sonos app make any difference?
3. Have you tried removing and re-adding the surround? Did it fix the issue?

If you can submit a diagnostic report for us to check. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Hi. 

Yes, surround is in Full stereo. 
The problem is the same with: stereo, Dolby digital, Atmos, 5.1 etc.…

BUT - it is fixed when I switch off trueplay  

Increasing the volume just turns both speakers up - but the right one is always louder regardless of the surround volume. 

I have completely removed the whole system twice including the arc and sub. 
I did factory resets on all speakers, and the reinstalled them again  

Here is latest diagnostic number: 1600946490

I strongly believe this is a software issue, I have friend with exactly the same problem and there are numerous forums online with people saying exactly the same… always the right surround speaker being noticeable louder. 

So this is obviously not just me. 

Please help to rectify this ASAP,  As an £1800 surround set-up should perform correctly in my opinio n

For info. Speaker surround positions. 
And yes I know the wires look a mess. 
that arch is getting bricked up next week and cables all getting covered then! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @marko2 , thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the diagnostic, Trueplay is currently disabled in your home theater set up. Trueplay measures how sound reflects off walls, furnishings, and other surfaces in a room, then fine-tunes your Sonos speaker to make sure it sounds great no matter where you've placed it.

There are some scenarios where Trueplay tuning may result in an undesired change to the sound of your Sonos speaker. Sound bounces on all hard surfaces in the room which have an impact on how the sound travel and affects the audio experience.

If you prefer the way your Sonos speaker sounded before tuning with Trueplay, you can disable Trueplay in the Sonos app. After the arch has been bricked up, tune your Sonos speakers again with Trueplay and see if there's an improvement.

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their own opinion about this.

Please keep us posted.

Hi,

trueplay is off due to the dreadful surround sound speaker balance!

Also - I much prefer the EQ after trueplay tuning, but cannot live with the surround speaker imbalance. 

I have the same problem. Better sound with trueplay and want to use that but the surround sound is awful with that much difference on speakers that is just 50-60cm from my head. This was not a problem when I had the Playbar. I measure the difference it and it is about 2-4DB higher on the right speaker.

And yes I have tried it all. Reset, disconnecting, recalibrating TruePlay, with optical cable with HDMI. Nothing works. Everything I watch sounds like everything comes from the back right even when the car comes from the left.

Please find a fix for this quick.

I use Arc, sub and 2xPlay1.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Sunde, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I’d be happy to help you all here and it would be best for those having trouble submitting a diagnostic report of your system for better understanding and see what would be best for the setup. Reply to us with the confirmation number. We and the community are always here to help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Sunde, thank you for your reply and for submitting the diagnostic. 

Based on the diagnostic, your Arc and Sub are both wired to your router but connected to your WiFi network. It's not utilizing the SonosNetwork. Also, there's interference in your network that may be caused by wireless congestion, and the Arc was detected as a dropped room. This could be the reason why your surround is not working since the Arc is the one sending the signal.

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps, to perform a sequential reboot of your network devices, all your Sonos products, and force close mobile controllers to refresh the connection. 

A sequential reboot means that we need to do this in order.
1. Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
2. Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
3. Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
4. When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.

After performing the steps above, turn on the TV and play from your TV or from another source before running the diagnostic report. Just include the confirmation number in your response so that we can look up the information. Also, we'd appreciate it if you can provide us the make and model of your TV and other devices connected (BlueRay, cable TV, i.e) to your TV and how are they connected. 

If you need help with any other information, feel free to reach out. We'll wait for your reply.

The router is in another room and I am not able to connect anything to it. Yes the Arc and Sub are connected together with wire but not to a router. But I did that with the Playbar as well and that worked perfectly.

My TV is an LG OLED55B6V currently connected to the ARC through Optics cable. As written earlier I have also tried the HDMI-ARC. No difference other then I have to turn the TV on that source to “activate” the ARC before changing to the source I want to get sound. So I don't like using that anymore since that also takes time and the ARC has a delay for about 2sec before it recognizes sound and turns the sound on. Pretty annoying.

I also use a PS4, N.Switch and Apple TV4K. I almost only use the Apple TV. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @Sunde, thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic report. Let me check it for you.

Based on the report, there's no signal from your TV to your Sonos Arc. Did you run the diagnostic while playing something on the TV or from other sources? Can you tell me on what network device do your Arc and Sub wired to?

Please run another diagnostic while your LG TV is playing for us to check and let us know the confirmation number.

If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

Again. The ARC and Sub are only wired to each other nothing els. No network device. Everything is run on WiFi. Always have always will. Can not do it any other way. And I did so with the Playbar as well.

I just did a clean surround sound check and the right side is significantly higher!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

​Hi @Sunde, thank you for your response and for clarifying that your Sonos system is connected to your WiFi network. I appreciate you for submitting another diagnostic. Upon checking, still no signal from your TV to your Sonos Arc. 

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps if this will work for you and to isolate the issue.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from your Arc and LG TV. 
  2. Unplug the power cable from your LG TV, the Arc, and any connected audio source. Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
  3. Reconnect only the HDMI cable to your LG TV and the Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
  4. Update the LG TV’s software (if available)
  5. Adjust the audio format (Dolby Digital 5.1, PCM, Stereo)
  6. Check for update in the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Check for updates
  7. Remove and re-add surrounds from the home theater setup.

If you're still experiencing the same issue, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Badge

Again. The ARC and Sub are only wired to each other nothing els. No network device. Everything is run on WiFi. Always have always will. Can not do it any other way. And I did so with the Playbar as well.

I just did a clean surround sound check and the right side is significantly higher!

Apols for hijacking the thread a little here when you’re receiving direct support but I have a question. You mentioned that your router is in another room but you also mention that only the arc and sub are wired to each other. In what way are they ‘wired together’? In a normal scenario, they wouldn’t be wired together at all. One device would connect to the router, either hard wired with Ethernet or over WiFi then the others would connect to that device wirelessly using their own Sonos network. 

I have 3 setups with sub and surrounds and whilst one (the Arc) is hard wired to the router the other two Beams aren’t and in no scenario is the sound bar wired to the sub. 

apols if I’ve misunderstood. 

​Hi @Sunde, thank you for your response and for clarifying that your Sonos system is connected to your WiFi network. I appreciate you for submitting another diagnostic. Upon checking, still no signal from your TV to your Sonos Arc. 

Let me suggest the next troubleshooting steps if this will work for you and to isolate the issue.

1. Unplug the HDMI cable from your Arc and LG TV. 
  2. Unplug the power cable from your LG TV, the Arc, and any connected audio source. Wait 30 seconds before you plug them back in.
  3. Reconnect only the HDMI cable to your LG TV and the Arc. Inspect the HDMI cable to ensure it’s not bent or kinked and check to see that it’s fully inserted into both devices.
  4. Update the LG TV’s software (if available)
  5. Adjust the audio format (Dolby Digital 5.1, PCM, Stereo)
  6. Check for update in the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Check for updates
  7. Remove and re-add surrounds from the home theater setup.

If you're still experiencing the same issue, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to perform in-depth troubleshooting. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

I have now done every step you told me. The ARC is also no longer connected to the Sub and everything is now on WiFi except the optic-cable between the ARC and the TV. I disconnected the back speakers and did a new TruePlay. The right back speaker is stil significantly higher then the left.

I will call support on Monday.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Sunde, thank you for your response and for providing the diagnostic report. Let me help you out with this.

The diagnostic is blank. No content information about your Sonos system. 

We really appreciate the time and effort you've spent doing all the troubleshooting steps, and it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out. We and the community are always here to help.