Answered

One SL as Rear Speakers placement in surround setup

• 2 October 2022
  • 2 replies

Looking for some input on rear speaker placement.   There is about a 12-inch shelf between the wall and couch, but its slightly below the couch level. Ear level is about 4ft. The doorway can be closed off, but there is nowhere to mount speaker above it.  I feel my only option is to wall mount the One SLs on the wall behind the couch, but not sure on placement or height. I’m thinking each corner of the couch with them tilted downward, but what height would you recommend? FYI System is Beam (Gen2) ONE SLs for surround, and Sub Mini once it arrives. All the AV equipment supports Dolby Atmos.

icon

Best answer by JeroenVR 2 October 2022, 09:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Maybe this can help you decide. 
From my personal experience I found out that at ear level, they were too much pronounced, so I moved them up to approx 5 feet above floor level and tilted them downwards using the original wall mounts. 
In your situation I would first try them om the shelf and listen if it gives your desired effect. If not I would mount them on the walls near ceiling height and tilt them downwards.

Another possibility is to move the couch to the opposite wall and of course also for the tv with soundbar. In that case you can mount them like 5 or 6 feet from floor level. But maybe you should think about the WAF (wife acceptance factor). Some will not accept you to redecorate the room just for the sound 🤭

Room was originally flipped as you suggested, but with different furniture. The current furniture won’t  allow it to be done that way. It currently has a Klipsch bar 48 with a booming sub in there, but its o much for the room and its doesn’t handle everyday audio ( I.e. non Dolby encoded) very well. This why I'm moving the Sonos setup in there now that sub mini is coming out.