'On this iphone' removal.

• 7 July 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
This new update will eliminate a critical function of the Play:1 speaker system. We are being forced to either buy a music service or new speakers. None of this was part of the deal. Sonos inability to fix or blatant disregard for the many people running Play:1 speakers is criminal. In the coming days/weeks, i will seek out a class action lawyer to pursue damages against this company.

Over half the nation is using iPhones. Why can every other app company make necessary updates to their programs as needed, but you can't? This burden is on you. Not us.

5 replies

# of class action suits threatened over the years: Hundreds

# of class action suits actually filed: 0

Good luck bucking that trend.
Userlevel 2
Fair enough. I just submit the issue to the lawyers, they decide where to go with it. It may go nowhere, but I’m done with being a Sonos customer. This was poor form. You seem computer savvy... do you truly believe a fix for this issue is not possible? Apps and software are updated every day to promote integration into new operating systems. I don’t believe they pursued a good faith effort into fixing this
Userlevel 2
In the meantime I’ll look into the google option you listed
Fair enough. I just submit the issue to the lawyers, they decide where to go with it. It may go nowhere, but I’m done with being a Sonos customer. This was poor form. You seem computer savvy... do you truly believe a fix for this issue is not possible? Apps and software are updated every day to promote integration into new operating systems. I don’t believe they pursued a good faith effort into fixing this

I know a little about how the "On this iDevice" function was done, it took advantage of a loophole in the iOS operating system. That loophole has been exasperated by the latest iOS version, in that a sleep screen interrupts the process which allowed Sonos continued access to the content. This is wholly and fully something Apple did, whether by accident, or to force sale of their own and other's (including Sonos') Airplay licensed speakers.

As to pursuing a good faith effort, the problem has existed for over a year, and Sonos has tried fixing it for at least that long. This was not a spur of the moment decision.
In the meantime I’ll look into the google option you listed

See these links for options available for free/paid GPM accounts, and how to upload your library.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1873?language=en_US

https://support.google.com/googleplaymusic/answer/1075570?hl=en&ref_topic=6230985