Answered

On this iPhone diappeared from menu after 6.2 update

• 10 February 2016
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7
The on this iphone menu item disappeared after athe 6.2 app update. I can no long listen to podcast stored on my phone. Deleted and d/l again, restarted, no luck. What happened?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 10 February 2016, 20:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Badge +1
Still available here on iPhone 6 with 6.2 ...
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Still available here on iPhone 6 with 6.2 ...

Mine's iphone 5s. Also have an old iphone 4 I use as Sonos controller around the house. Going to update it and see if retains the menu item
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Updated Sonos on iphone 4, no problem "on this iphone" still there. On the 5s deleted podcasts/resubscribe, not working. Deleted and d/l Sonos app, still no luck.
Connected to itunes and added one mp3 to phone, as I don't carry any music on this phone normally. Wanted to test if it was a podcast problem.
Well "on this iphone" reappeared? The one mp3 was accessible along with the podcast on the phone. Thinking bad app update on the phone? Will monitor and see how it goes.
"On this iPhone" only shows up if there are actual music tracks on the phone. Even if you only wish to view podcasts, you need at least one music track on the phone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
"On this iPhone" only shows up if there are actual music tracks on the phone. Even if you only wish to view podcasts, you need at least one music track on the phone.

Not so. There is no music on my old iPhone 4, only podcast, and the menu item is there, working. And on both the iPhone 5s here, there has never been any music, only podcast, and that menu feature has always been there and worked. That is up until the update today on the one 5s. The other 5s is not here to test at the moment.

Not so. There is no music on my old iPhone 4, only podcast, and the menu item is there, working. And on both the iPhone 5s here, there has never been any music, only podcast, and that menu feature has always been there and worked. That is up until the update today on the one 5s. The other 5s is not here to test at the moment.

Are you sure? Because this FAQ says differently:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2933/~/playing-music-from-an-iphone%2Fipad%2Fipod-touch

Some songs that show in the Music App aren't available in Sonos. Why is that?
Streaming from an iOS device to Sonos requires music to be in AAC or MP3 format and that the music is DRM-free. Songs that are protected by DRM, or are in AIFF format will not appear as valid selections in the Sonos App.

Podcasts will not show up or play from your iOS device to Sonos unless you have audio tracks on your iOS device as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There has been a slight change to the coding for the streaming off of iOS devices with iOS 9.2 and Sonos version 6.2. We have the full details on iOS streaming requirements listed here. But most relevant for you:
Podcasts will not show up or play from your iOS device to Sonos unless you have audio tracks on your iOS device as well.

You'll just need to download any non-DRM protected music file to your mobile devices and you'll be able to see all those podcasts again. There were some changes to the way the Xcode reading was done and it isn't registering podcasts as the right sort of media file to flag the "This iPhone". We're well aware of it and are looking into if this can be resolved cleaner, but for the moment having a track downloaded to the phone should fix it for you.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
There has been a slight change to the coding for the streaming off of iOS devices with iOS 9.2 and Sonos version 6.2. We have the full details on iOS streaming requirements listed here. But most relevant for you:

You'll just need to download any non-DRM protected music file to your mobile devices and you'll be able to see all those podcasts again. There were some changes to the way the Xcode reading was done and it isn't registering podcasts as the right sort of media file to flag the "This iPhone". We're well aware of it and are looking into if this can be resolved cleaner, but for the moment having a track downloaded to the phone should fix it for you.

Well that explains it, and why the menu item still appears on the iPhone 4 ios7. And why it came back on the 5s when I added 1 track. Will use the work around till you find a fix. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Well that explains it, and why the menu item still appears on the iPhone 4 ios7. And why it came back on the 5s when I added 1 track. Will use the work around till you find a fix. Thanks.

The iPhone 4 running iOS7 likely doesn't have the same Xcode changes for Apple streaming that iOS 9.2 has, so it's fine without any music stored on the device, at least for now. It's just a matter of having one track on there so that the Sonos app sees music on the device. The podcasts aren't registering as "music".
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi guys, there was an update released today, Sonos version 6.2.1 for iOS controllers which addresses this issue. On that new version you should be able to see your iOS device even if the only media on it are your Podcasts.

Let us know if you have any further trouble.
Not here in 7.1 / 7.2??
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not here in 7.1 / 7.2??

Hi Socialclimber,

Please double check to make sure your music has been downloaded on to your iOS device's storage. If the option to play from your iOS device still doesn't show up, please send in a diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.