Question

Older Sonos Amps

• 2 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Is there going to be a point where Sonos will stop supporting the older Amps and force you to upgrade your equipment? Kinda like what Apple does.

Thanks

3 replies

Yes, but there is no knowing when that will happen. And whether you will be force to upgrade depends on how you use it - if part of a multi room set up where new players are being added or if new functions are wanted, yes, upgrades will be necessary.

So far, Sonos continues to support the oldest devices that were sold, in terms of speakers. They’ve only stopped supporting ancillary devices, a remote control and a “dock” for iPods (30 pin, not lightning).

But as Kumar suggests, it does seem inevitable that at some point, much like both android and iOS devices, the oldest devices will run out of RAM and CPU to run the Sonos software.  But we just don’t know when that will be.

I’m sure Sonos knows exactly how many of each type of devices are out there being used, and my opinion is that they’ve done yeoman’s work in keeping all devices still relevant. But I can’t imagine that it will be forever.

And that’s the challenge of purchasing a device like Sonos, that has a network card, and effectively a computer in it. Unlike normal “dumb” speakers and amplifiers, eventually the oldest Sonos device(s) will be unable to maintain pace.

Unlike normal “dumb” speakers and amplifiers, eventually the oldest Sonos device(s) will be unable to maintain pace.

While agreeing with all that Bruce says, to clarify on the quoted:

If you also do not want to maintain the Sonos pace, nothing stops you from disembarking from their train. The amp will then continue to work as well as before, till the hardware fails. Obviously, you will not then get any new features from the time of your departure. You also need to do some research on how to do this successfully, because even something simple like changing smart phones may find you unwittingly back on the train, with the amp still where you left it, unable to catch up.