Answered

Older components failing update and can't be used

• 16 December 2020
  • 11 replies

So I have some Sonos components that are not S2 controller compatible.  I have been pleased to see the upgrade program changed so that you don’t have to brick your old equipment.  That being said, this past month has brought some required updates to the older equipment that make it unusable.  The S1 controller indicates that several components need an update, but said update never goes through.  I have restarted all of my network equipment, changed DNS servers, rebooted audio gear and even plugged it in to a network cable, plugged into the switch on the router.  None of this has worked and it seems that I will be unable to use the components I purchased, quite a few actually.

I have been with Sonos since the early days and believe that the system is still the best.  Despite my loyalty, I will not be very happy if I have to trash my existing equipment because of a forced update that never works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I have exhausted all of the advice that I have found on here and on internet search.  

Thanks in advance.  

Datarage

icon

Best answer by dashort 17 December 2020, 04:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Does this have any relevance to your setup? https://status.sonos.com/incidents/j67b0ts2kwz9

Hey thanks for taking the time to reply Nik. I am actually using Android and I also tried it from a Windows machine. I uninstalled the app from the Android and reinstalled it. I appreciate it!

Hi @dashort .  Whatever is going on it is not a generic issue and your system ‘should’ still work.

Have you left all your equipment as a single S1 system or have you been running both an S! and an S2 system?

Check in Settings, System, About My System in the app (or apps if you have S1 and S2) and let us know what software version your controller is on, and which version the speakers are on.

Are there any specific error messages that you get?

I think this is the same problem I’m having which is not being able to update systems on either app because each app detects systems which are incompatible with it (either old legacy systems or new generation systems) whilst not allowing me to remove systems from either app… 

:-(

Hey John B, thanks for weighing in on this. I think you’re onto a possible solution.

My system version is 11.2.4, Sonos OS is S1.

However, I do see that some of the components that are listed as needing an update show that they have Sonos OS 2, version 12.2.2

I’m guessing I would need to revert these components back to Sonos OS S1.  I’m not quite sure how to do that, however….

@dashort   Before I suggest anything further, can i just check what your desired outcome is?  Do you want to run separate systems for devices that are compatible with S2 and those that aren’t, or do you want a single S1 system with all your devices in it?  I am not totally sure you can get back completely to S1 any more - this was possible but a couple of threads have made me wonder if it still is.  But we can cross that bridge if we come to it.

One thing you can try is to power off the units that are in one system, uninstall the controller for the  other system and download it afresh,  Then connect to existing system.  If it doesn’t offer you an update go into Settings, System, System Updates and Check for Updates.  If that works OK, power off that system, power on the other one and repeat with that system’s controller.

John B. thank you so much for taking the time to address my problem.  I feel confident that this is a solution that I can accomplish!

Update...I have S1 products that are not compatible with the S2 app. When I factory reset my S2 product to add it to the S1 system, it tells me it needs the S2 app only. I think I'm at an impasse because the different components won't work on one app.

If you have any further advice, I'm all ears.

It does look like the ability to reset and go back may have gone.

The Sonos website still says:

“While we don’t recommend downgrading your products to S1 after updating to S2, it is possible to downgrade by resetting the S2 products to their factory settings and adding them to an existing S1 system. An existing Sonos product running S1 software is required to downgrade an S2 product back to S1. Note that all settings and preferences will be lost when downgrading a product from S2 to S1.”

This statement is at the following link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4845?language=en_US

The only thing I can suggest is that you call Sonos Support and ask them to help you do what Sonos says should be possible