Now on Deezer Family HiFi... no FLAC playback in Sonos S2 app

Hi there,

I just got my regular Deezer family plan upgraded to the new Family Hifi plan they offer. So… I have an issue within the Sonos S2 App. It seems that the songs the app pulls from Deezer service aren’t played in FLAC format but in Mp3 only.

When I play a song within Deezer app, everything plays back just fine in HiFi format. But as soon as I use the Sonos S2 app, I’m getting Mp3 audio only.

It appears (by reading the Deezer community) that multiple users are experiencing this issue as well.

My audio quality settings in Deezer are all set to Custom / HiFi for everything (including streaming) and my compression settings in the S2 app are set to uncompressed.

Help ?

Below are screenshots of the same song, both playing in the Deezer app and S2 App. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

That’s odd? I just streamed the exact same track on S2 and it shows here as FLAC? 

What speaker is “cuisine” and have you tried rebooting the speaker(s)? 

Maybe try reauthorising your Deezer Account within the Sonos App too, or removing and reinstalling the service to see if that fixes it for you.

Hello Ken,

Yep. Quite odd indeed. Just to make sure, are you using an individual Deezer HiFi subscription or a Family HiFi subscription ?

The Family HiFi plan is fairly new and it seems that it the issue I have affects the users that switched from regular Family subscription to Family HiFi.

Individual HiFi subscriptions aren’t affected.

Don’t worry I rebooted everything couple times, even my router and Boost. I even tried hard wiring at least one speaker (even though my Boost is hard wired). No joy.

Cuisine stands for Kitchen in French 😎

If you have not already followed Ken's advice to remove the service from your Sonos system and then add it again, you should try that next.

Tried. Failed.

Hello Ken,

Yep. Quite odd indeed. Just to make sure, are you using an individual Deezer HiFi subscription or a Family HiFi subscription ?

The Family HiFi plan is fairly new and it seems that it the issue I have affects the users that switched from regular Family subscription to Family HiFi.

Individual HiFi subscriptions aren’t affected.

Don’t worry I rebooted everything couple times, even my router and Boost. I even tried hard wiring at least one speaker (even though my Boost is hard wired). No joy.

Cuisine stands for Kitchen in French 😎

Yes, I’m using the Deezer individual HiFi plan not their family plan. If it’s a ‘new’ type of plan then perhaps that’s the reason. I always thought their family plan was just 6 Deezer ‘Premium’ accounts rather than HiFi accounts for £14.99 per month (U.K. price) but if you can now get 6 HiFi plans as a family account then maybe Deezer/Sonos are still to sort that out?

I’m having the same issue and spoke to Deezer on the 10th May and this was their response.

“So, I just checked back with our developers and indeed the Sonos cannot yet pick up the Family HiFi completely. We are working on solving this issue asap.  Our team is currently working on making the Family Hifi subscription available on the Sonos the subscription is usable on all other HiFi capable devices“

It’s not rocket science to test something works before you release it.

What percentage of Deezer customers use Sonos?

What percentage of Deezer customers use Sonos?

Enough to have Sonos and Deezer locked into a business partnership

I’m one of those customers. I have the same problem. And I upgraded to Deezer HiFi solely to use with Sonos. For portable use I have my own HiRes system but those files can’t be streamed. 

will say, though, that it is sounding pretty good, so maybe it’s a display issue. I don’t know how to go back in Sonos and force an mp3 stream from Deezer to compare. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Can someone please teach me how to see whether it’s “MP3” or “FLAC” on the Sonos S2 app please? Thanks!

Can someone please teach me how to see whether it’s “MP3” or “FLAC” on the Sonos S2 app please? Thanks!

Whilst the track is playing. Goto the ‘Now Playing’ screen in the App and select the (…) ellipsis menu and then ‘track format’. See screenshot attached.

Enough to have Sonos and Deezer locked into a business partnership

There is no "business" partnership, all partnerships between Sonos and service providers are non-monetary.  It is free to join Sonos' Music Partners program; any and all can join who are willing to connect with the Sonos API.  That is as far as the "partnership" goes.

To further jgatie’s post, see the Sonos partners page.

I’m just guessing at the internal communications in Deezer..

Deezer Sales - Is Deezer HiFi Family ready to bring to market?

Deezer Developers - We’ve sent a change request to Sonos but they’re not receiving the correct stream yet.

Deezer Sales - Great let’s release it and we can test it works with Sonos properly later, it works fine with other platforms.

Deezer Developers - Shouldn’t we get it working and tested before we release it?

Deezer Sales - ??????

Hi,

I am in exactly the same boat, just upgraded from a Deezer Hifi individual plan to the new Family HiFi plan and I can only stream in the MP3 format now.  Up until switching the acount type with Deezer it was streaming in FLAC. Deezer app on Windows and Android unaffected, they all stream in FLAC so it must be something to do with how Sonos or Deezer now interpret the account type to determine stream type.

Please can someone from Sonos support please chime in on this and link up with the Deezer to get it resolved.

The current UK chat option is not working from the Sonos support site.

I have also opened an incident with Deezer as well, hopefully the more people reporting the issue the quicker it will be resolved.

Thanks

This is frustrating, I jumped on the hifi family plan just to get better quality streaming on Sonos.  Hopefully this is fixed fairly quickly.

Userlevel 2

I have the same problem (upgraded from Hifi to Family Hifi). This is really bad since I use 1 Sonos Connect and 3 Sonos speakers.

Hi,

It looks like the issue is now resolved.  I am getting FLAC on my Sonos speakers.

I did raise a ticket with Deezer support, and despite chasing twice for an answer in the last 2 weeks got no update apart from an acknowledgement that they need to chase up with the Dev team.

I was just about to cancel my subscription with them, but its all looking good today