Answered

No TV sound

• 14 August 2018
  • 7 replies

My tv was working and randomly in the middle of the day, the sound quite working. Called Sonos support and they wanted me to change my optical cable. I changed it and still no sound from the tv. Checked all the settings not sure what else to do. Music does play on the sound bar just no tv coming through.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 August 2018, 05:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

If music plays fine, that means there's likely nothing wrong with the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE/Beam (?). The fact that they asked you to try changing the cable means that they saw no evidence that any signal was coming through. There's several things I'd be checking.

First, whatever source you're playing on the TV (cable, DVD, bluray, whatever) needs to have the audio settings checked to make sure that they're set to Dolby Digital. Not Dolby Digital Plus, or DTS, or Dolby Atmos, just Dolby Digital (or Stereo/PCM).

Once you've locked down the source device, you should then look at the audio settings on the TV set itself, and make sure that it is also set to pass through Dolby Digital. While you're in the audio settings for your TV (and what make and model is it?) you should make sure that the optical port is turned on. There are some TVs that allow the optical port to be on or off, you want to be sure it's on. You may also want to check that the signal is set to "fixed" rather than "variable" if your TV has that setting.

Once you've done those two things, then pull the optical cable out of the back of the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE/Beam, and check to see that there's a red light coming out of the cable. Might be worth making sure that there's no "cap" on the center of the cable, sometimes they come with little clear rubber tips that can cover the tip, but still allow the cable to be inserted.

Then reconnect the cable to the back of the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE/Beam, and keep playing the Dolby Digital signal, whatever that is. Then go in to the controller app, and go to settings>About My Sonos system and look at the line that says "Audio In:" under the PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE/Beam's data, and see what that says.

That should be a start. Let us know how you get on.
Tried everything listed above, still no luck.
I just figured it out. Just went and flipped the breaker to the house and it all kicked on. WEIRD!
Flipped the main breaker off then back on, not sure why it worked.
It resets the HDMI handshake for CEC between all the connected devices. You could have just unplugged the TV from power to achieve the same result. It’s a finicky standard.
It resets the HDMI handshake for CEC between all the connected devices. You could have just unplugged the TV from power to achieve the same result. It’s a finicky standard.
Worked unplugging the TV 👍🏻
Glad to hear it, no pun intended.