Question

No optical sound input on my Panasonic plasma

• 12 September 2017
  • 12 replies

Is there a way for me to use a Sonos playbar with my Panasonic 7H58PH10UKA plasma monitor (it has no speakers). It is absent an optical audio input. It has 2 HDMI slots. Currently one is connected to the cable DVR box and the other to my wireless BluRay dvd. The TV has a slot for component audio in. It also has pne slot for PC input with serial and audio in pin for stereo plug. Of course, I'm interested in a solution that would give me the best sound.
Thanks for your help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Badge +20
You need to look for an optical OUT on your monitor.

If there is none you can see look to see if there is an optical out on your cable DVR box and Bluray player but you will need an optical switch box.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When I search Google I only get two hits - Both are this thread.

Can you check the reference. But as Belly M says you need an audio OUT. Alternatively connect the optical outs from your two sources to an optical switch and take THAT output to the Playbar
Badge +20
Its the TH58PH10UKA but I did not Google to see the ports.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wow! That TV weighs 119 lb!!
Thanks. There is no optical out in TV but the cable DVR and the Bluray have optical outs. The newest generation of DVRs do not have optical out. Is there an HDMI to optical audio adapter? And would something like that diminish sound quality?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Yeah, that's got to be the wrong model number hasn't it?

Ah, I just noticed the reply!

Here's a useful list of panasonic serial number identifiers anyway :)

http://en.tab-tv.com/?p=12177
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well yes there are things like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-Converter-Extractor-Digital-Analogue-BLACK/dp/B00H8T1DJ8.

Personally I'd be looking to get a replacement TV. One that will pass DD5.1 out through the Optical audio out
Belly and Stuart - thanks 4 ur advice. Do you think the sound quality coming out of the HDMI converter extractor woul be as good as a straight optical audio connection? Also, would i place the converter between the DVR cable box - HDMI out of DVR to HDMI in for converter and optical audio out to Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I wouldn't expect any degradation of signal in an audio extractor.

What you want is an HDMI audio extractor with as many HDMI inputs as you have more than (at least 2 from what you say) and put the HDMI outputs of the DVR and DVD into it's inputs, take the digital audio output to the Playbar and the HDMI output to the Plasma TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The newest generation of DVRs do not have optical out.

It's not necessary for them. The DVR uses HDMI to carry video and audio to the TV which then routes those feeds as required.

For me it seems best to place between TV and Sonos, but I'm not 100% on that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The newest generation of DVRs do not have optical out.

It's not necessary for them. The DVR uses HDMI to carry video and audio to the TV which then routes those feeds as required.

For me it seems best to place between TV and Sonos, but I'm not 100% on that.

No. It would be:

DVR/DVD/Playstation etc------> Splitter------>TV
..............................................................------>Sonos
Thank you all.
Beauty is a subjective thing. I love the long nuanced tonal gradation of the plasma. The image doesnt shout at you and seems very natural. Alas, when she goes I'll have to accept the images of the time.