No 5.1 audio during video playback on Playstation video? (HD movies bought on PS4)

• 6 January 2019
  • 7 replies

Badge +2
It says Stereo in the Sonos app, even though it says 5.1 on the PS4. Why?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

A quick Google search turns this up:

https://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/bistream-%28dolby-digital%2Fdts%29-with-sony-ps4

Have you followed all of these steps?
Badge +2
Yes, everything else is working just fine (both games and DVD/Bluray). It's only when I play downloaded movies from the PS Store that it says Stereo on the app instead of 5.1.
Yes, everything else is working just fine (both games and DVD/Bluray). It's only when I play downloaded movies from the PS Store that it says Stereo on the app instead of 5.1.I would maybe ask the question in the Sony PS4 forum, or speak to their customer support desk. It sounds like it must be a problem at their end, particularly if the blue-ray player is working in 5.1 DD audio output etc. Maybe it only converts the movies to PCM stereo output?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Because your (unspecified) TV doesn't support DD 5.1 over optical from HDMI inputs. Probably a Samsung a few years old. You need to force the EDID signal so the TV emits DD 5.1 over optical - see my other answers for a device on Amazon that does this.
Badge +2
Because your (unspecified) TV

It's an Samsung QLED TV 55Q7F.

Are you saying I need to connect Sonos to the TV through optical instead of HDMI?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Are you saying I need to connect Sonos to the TV through optical instead of HDMI?

I assumed you were using optical based on the problem description. Ignore my response, I don't know enough about HDMI ARC to help you.
Because your (unspecified) TV

It's an Samsung QLED TV 55Q7F.

The audio output settings let you choose the port to output to. I don’t think it’s relrvant as your Blu-ray output is working as 5.1 DD .. it makes sense that it is a PlayStation issue for your downloaded movies. I would still speak to the Sony Support Desk to see what they say.