Question

New version Play1 Music on Apple device & Airplay 2 don't work

Badge
House full of SONOS and Apple devices
Yesterday purchased a latest Version Play 1
On an Apple device, streamed music plays on New Play 1 via Airplay 2
However music on an Apple device linked to Play 1 via Airplay 2 is not recognized by SONOS App and as such doesn't play
Latest versions of SONOS Software are installed
Latest versions of software on Apple devices installed
Anyone else trying to this and finding the same problems???????

10 replies

I think you're confusing the PLAY:1 and the Sonos One, something easy to do. The PLAY:1 is not able to be a target for an AirPlay 2 signal, but the Sonos One can.

The Sonos One can then be grouped with any other Sonos speaker and the AirPlay 2 signal being sent to the Sonos One can then be shared with any/all other Sonos speakers.
Here is an excellent resource to help you tell the difference between the two kinds of Sonos speakers:
Sonos One vs. PLAY:1 reference.
Badge
Okay, I apologise for the incorrect terminology.
I purchased a Gen 2 SONOS One speaker yesterday and set it up on our Network
On our IOS Devices, Streamed Music or Radio on the SONOS App will work through AirPlay 2 to the new Gen 2 SONOS One Speaker.
However Music on the IOS devices doesn't play via Airplay 2 to the new Gen 2 SONOS One Speaker
So my issue still stands, all Apple and SONOS Updates have been done and this is becoming very frustrating.
Really look forward to some help with this one.
One thing puzzling me in what you say. Why would you use Airplay 2 for streamed music and radio as you say you do? Much better to do that through the Sonos app.

Which makes me ask what you are doing when you try to use Airplay 2 to play the music on your phone. Can you describe please?
Badge
OK, I have been using SONOS for many years and very familiar with how to use it.

Streamed Music and Radio selected in the SONOS App on my IOS devices works via AirPlay 2 to my new Gen 2 SONOS One Speaker
However trying to play music on any of our IOS devices via AirPlay 2 doesn't work directly or via the SONOS App.

Does this help?
OK, I have been using SONOS for many years and very familiar with how to use it.

Streamed Music and Radio selected in the SONOS App on my IOS devices works via AirPlay 2 to my new Gen 2 SONOS One Speaker
However trying to play music on any of our IOS devices via AirPlay 2 doesn't work directly or via the SONOS App.

Does this help?

I don't think streamed music or radio played using the Sonos app uses Airplay 2 at all, even where the speaker is Airplay 2 compatible - that is why what you are saying is confusing me. I am sure I am missing something.

For the music on your phone, is this the sort of thing you are doing:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202809
Userlevel 3
Badge
I bought a Sonos One a few weeks ago to add AirPlay to my system, which consisted of three Play One speakers. I can play my own music off my iPad without problems. Like John B. I'm wondering how you're trying to play the music.

To play my iTunes playlists, I go into the Apple Music app on my iPad and start the music there. At that point, the sound is only coming from the iPad speaker. Still staying in the Apple music app, I then touch the airplay icon on the bottom of the playing screen. This opens up rhe AirPlay control box, and I can click to switch the music to my Sonos One speaker. It takes a few seconds to switch over. Once it does, the sound comes from Sonos, and I can control the volume on all my speakers in the Sonos app. (As part of the setup of the new speaker, I grouped all my speakers together.)

I also use AirPlay to play archived internet radio shows (which are not on streaming or in podcast format.) In that case, I open up the iPad control center to get to the AirPlay control panel.
Blugle,

John B is correct the Sonos App doesn’t use AirPlay... it’s not even a 'player', it’s basically a remote control for the Sonos speakers... you will only be able to AirPlay from Apps that Support that iOS feature To know if it’s working on your Sonos One, bring up the iOS AirPlay clients list, as shown in my attached screenshot. If it’s working you will see the Sonos One Room Name in the list for you to select and play to.

If you don’t see the Sonos One in the iOS AirPlay list then try the following...
  1. Reboot the local router
  2. Power off/on the Sonos One Speaker
  3. Reset the Network Settings and Reboot the iOS Device and setup the WiFi connection to the router again.
  4. oh and don’t forget to register the Sonos One speaker as an 'Accessory' in HomeKit for Siri voice control (optional).
Badge
Thanks all, after rebooting our SONOS Bridge it all works fine now, no idea why but who cares it is working.
Hopefully the techo's at SONOS can somehow incorporate AirPlay 2 into the Bridge and all this messing around will go away, we do like SONOS due to it's simplicity!

Thanks again for your support
Glad it's working now.

However, if there was enough horsepower in the CPU in the BRIDGE to run AirPlay 2, I'd think they would have already made that change.

The design, and consequently the chipset inside the BRIDGE are relatively old, and I suspect it was designed long before the concept of AirPlay 2 was even conceived. It's doubtful that it will ever get AirPlay 2 compatibility. I'd expect to see a replacement device from Sonos before that happens.....and I doubt that it would be the BRIDGE itself, but instead a CONNECT replacement.