Answered

New to Sonos - help me with getting the right setup please

• 15 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Hi Sonos-community,

I'm currently a BlueSound user (please don't hate), but I find their app and interface more and more annoying, so I'm thinking about replacing my BlueSound Units with Sonos instead.

However my setup is different, so I'm in need of some assistance to make sure that I get it right.

Living-room:
Main units:
65" Sony A1 OLED
Marantz SR6011

Media players
Apple TV 4K
Bluesound Node 2

Toilet
Bluesound Pulse Flex

Kitchen
Bluesound Pulse Mini

Streaming services
Spotify
Youtube (usually streamed Bluetooth as this is not supported in the Bluesound app).

QUESTIONS
1) Does Play 1 or 5 support BlueTooth? If not, how can I stream from Youtube and other services to the speaker?

2) I want to be able to use the livingroom as a separate zone and control it through the sonos app. Would I need to buy a Connect to replace the Node 2 to do so?

Thanks in advance.

// tb^
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 15 April 2019, 14:41

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

QUESTIONS
1) Does Play 1 or 5 support BlueTooth? If not, how can I stream from Youtube and other services to the speaker?

No, Sonos does not support bluetooth. You have 3 options if watch to listen to youtube over Sonos speakers.
1 - Airplay 2. Several Sonos devices support airplay2 and can share the stream with non-supported devices. Looks like your Marantx does too. Since you have an apple TV, and presumably an iphone, this would probably be a good solution for you.
2 - Use apple TV or your TVs smart apps to pull up youtube, than us a Sonos devices designed to work with your TV (or with your Marantz) to play the audio.
3 - The Connect and Amp have RCA stereo inputs. Buy a bluetooth receiver that can output audio over RCAs.

2) I want to be able to use the livingroom as a separate zone and control it through the sonos app. Would I need to buy a Connect to replace the Node 2 to do so?

If you want to continue using the Marantz, yes, the Connect is the product you want to get. The Connect can connect as input and output to your receiver (looks like yours has RCA outputs) so the living room would be a fully integrated zone. Please note that Sonos can't control your Marantz to change inputs and things like that, it could only control the audio streaming when the Connect is the input, and the relative volume if you're not using line level input option.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The Play 5 has an Aux input, so you could plug in a Bluetooth receiver.

QUESTIONS

No, Sonos does not support bluetooth. You have 3 options if watch to listen to youtube over Sonos speakers.
1 - Airplay 2. Several Sonos devices support airplay2 and can share the stream with non-supported devices. Looks like your Marantx does too. Since you have an apple TV, and presumably an iphone, this would probably be a good solution for you.
2 - Use apple TV or your TVs smart apps to pull up youtube, than us a Sonos devices designed to work with your TV (or with your Marantz) to play the audio.
3 - The Connect and Amp have RCA stereo inputs. Buy a bluetooth receiver that can output audio over RCAs.

If you want to continue using the Marantz, yes, the Connect is the product you want to get. The Connect can connect as input and output to your receiver (looks like yours has RCA outputs) so the living room would be a fully integrated zone. Please note that Sonos can't control your Marantz to change inputs and things like that, it could only control the audio streaming when the Connect is the input, and the relative volume if you're not using line level input option.

Outstanding reply - thank you!
Badge +20
Whilst I am sure the community would love to see you jump ship you should bear in mind that you will end up loosing money and facilities that Bluesound offers over Sonos such as Bluetooth and Airplay 2 on the "i" models.

As for the Interface...

Use the Spotify app in conjunction with Bluesound or Sonos via Spotify connect, this was you get the full function of the Spotify app without going near the Bluesound or Sonos interface - just a though.
Whilst I am sure the community would love to see you jump ship you should bear in mind that you will end up loosing money and facilities that Bluesound offers over Sonos such as Bluetooth and Airplay 2 on the "i" models.

Sonos has airplay 2, not sure why you're suggesting that it doesn't. As for bluetooth, doesn't seem to be relevant when airplay is an option and the receiver has bluetooth if needed. Cost and the ability to use Spotify connect are very valid points.
Badge +20
Did not mean to imply that Sonos does not have Airplay... rather only the Bluesound "i" models have it, bit like only some Sonos models.

But there are others such as the ability to use an IR remote, headphone socket, line-in (on all devices) and hires (ignore any benefits of the format just easier not having to convert files. The "i" models also have aptX Bluetooth for headphone connectivity.