New Sonos Sub and Atmos surrounds ...

• 10 January 2019
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Just saw this tonight relating to possible new Sonos products can anyone shed any more light on this ?

Sonos wants to know if you’d pay $700 for wireless Atmos speakers

The leaked survey also showed a new, cheaper subwoofe
r

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2019/1/10/18176624/sonos-dolby-atmos-reddit-survey-sonos-core-sub

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

I took the time to complete the survey. What I noticed is how the product price would change every time there was a new page with the hypothetical question of if you were to buy a home theater piece in the next 12 months what would it be... probably went through that page 8 times and they would change the order of products including Bose products and the prices would vary on each product every time. Any where form 249 for a set of play1
349 to 449 for a beam
300 for a set of “premium surrounds” to “add more bass if you didn’t have a sub”
And atmos surrounds
They also had the “core sub” and “premium sub” and “premium playbar” all with the pricing moving around 100-150$ every time a new page opened. Perhaps they were also trying to find new price points for products as well.
Over the years I have seen a lot of speculation on this forum about possible Sonos developmenta. To date it has all proved inaccurate. Still, there is a first time for everything.
Over the years I have seen a lot of speculation on this forum about possible Sonos developmenta. To date it has all proved inaccurate. Still, there is a first time for everything.

Nope, the TruePlay speculation of mine was spot on.

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/dsp-room-correction-43916/index1.html
I stand corrected! 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Are they going to finally start supporting the required codecs to go along with this hardware? Then maybe.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Atmos Speakers wouldn't be on my shopping list but what would be nice is the ability for the Beam to be a centre speaker in
setting when higher volumes could be required for music. I've seen plenty of posts on this site wanting to do that for music and we don't all want speakers in the roof or behind us.

As for a cheaper Sub well it would be a cheap sub I guess. The current sub is a fantastic bit of high end gear and should stay that way imho. Cheaper sub would effectively burn the premium subs resale value unless the Core Sub was so poor no one wanted it.
What I don't get is: A new set of satellites alone would not help. We would also need a "new playbase" of some sort which has hdmi input and the ability to decode atmos. Right?
Userlevel 1
Badge
What I don't get is: A new set of satellites alone would not help. We would also need a "new playbase" of some sort which has hdmi input and the ability to decode atmos. Right?

Or a "small and cheap box" the Size of a Apple TV that has HDMI that works as a decoder for Atmos maybe?
I for one would get "mad" if i have to change my Playbase just for atmos, this should be a "addon".
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
A "Core Sub" product might be a better match for Beam owners.

Or a "small and cheap box" the Size of a Apple TV that has HDMI that works as a decoder for Atmos maybe?
I for one would get "mad" if i have to change my Playbase just for atmos, this should be a "addon".

The Playbase has all the features it was advertised to have when you bought it. I don't see why the introduction of a new product means Sonos has an obligation to provide new features to the playbase as some sort of compensation to you. In the hypothetical case where they do implement Atmos, it may make sense to make an add-on device of sorts, but they should do so only if making the device is profitable.

I doubt it
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Maybe but it won't be as good as the current Beam + Sub combo imho.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Obviously
Userlevel 3
Badge +6

That goes without saying. However, a lot of people who are buying the beam are doing so because it's cheaper and have a smaller space. They probably don't need that level of power and would be looking for something that is more in line with the entry level line up that Sonos provides.