Answered

New Sonos Amp with 4 in-wall speakers for surround sound?

• 26 November 2018
  • 9 replies

My family room has 4 in-wall speakers, 2 in front and 2 in back. i would like to make them part of a surround sound system for our TV. Can the new Sonos Amp do this? I've read some articles and specs but I'm not an expert so I'm not clear if this is possible.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 November 2018, 00:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

The new Sonos Amp should be able to handle it...well, 2 of them, one for the front pair of speakers, the other for the surround pair of speakers.
Ugh. 2 of them gets pretty pricey. Wish there was a better way. 😞
They're stereo devices. 2 speaker posts. It's hard to get 4 distinct channels out of two speaker posts.
Well, technically 4 speaker posts, but you get what I mean.
Makes sense....thanks for the reply! Now Sonos needs to make a new AMP 2.0 with 4 (8) speaker posts to handle surround. That would do the trick for me.
Hmmmm...I also havve a Connect:Amp that I can re-purpose. Would it be possible to get the surround sound all linked together with Sonos using 1 Connect:Amp plus one NEW Amp and my 4 in-wall speakers? I am also considering adding the Sonos sub.
I think what you really want is a Sonos Amp with 10 (5) speaker posts, so you could have a center speaker as well 🙂 And of course, a port for a SUB. But that's kind of out of Sonos area at that point, and you're talking about a standard A/V receiver.

But yes, I think you could potentially do what you want with your existing CONNECT:AMP. However, since it doesn't have the necessary 5Ghz antenna in it to receive the surround information, you'd need to still wire it to the Sonos Amp (or have them both wired to your router with ethernet) in order to make that work. But then you could plug in the HDMI-ARC into the Sonos Amp for the front 2 speakers, and have the CONNECT:AMP be powering the rear two speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Airgetlam is correct -

A Sonos Amp will power front speakers and act as your primary hub for the TV should. You can run a Connect:Amp to the rear speakers but it has to be ethernet wired to the Sonos Amp or your router. Actually this may be easy for you since the wires for rear speakers probably come out same place as the wires for front speakers - so you can have both beside each other and it will work ethernet wired together.

Having an amp that does all of 5.1 kinda defeats the purpose of Sonos. That would be a wired hometheater receiver.

You of course can use a hometheater receiver with a connect attached.
Thank you both...I better understand my options now. I currently use the connect:amp on those 4 wired wall speakers to listen to music. If I setup the way that Chris described, it sounds like I can still use them for music plus for the TV surround sound. All wires terminate in the same location so setup should be easy. Looks like I have a weekend project to try it out. if it works and sounds good (though maybe not a perfect 5.1 system), I’ll be happy.