New Sonos Amp in a shed?

• 6 July 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
So, i currently have a Sherwood RX-4105 stereo receiver with a Chromecast Audio in my shed. Its been in there and working for a couple years without issues. WiFi strength is enough for wireless streaming. (shed is about 40 ft from a Google WiFi in the kitchen)

I'm getting ready to finish out my rooms by replacing all my Google Homes with Sonos speakers and just needed to make sure the Sonos Amp will survive the heat and cold in my shed. (I live in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.) I currently have a pair of Sonos Ones (stereo pair) in the kitchen that will be about the same distance away. Maybe slightly closer. So the SonosNet signal should make it.

I think it'll be fine, just wanted a few other opinions.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Assuming that the shed can protect the unit from rain and the unit has reasonable air circulation, the operating temperature limits are: 32°F to 104°F (0°C to 40°C).

A quick feasibility test for the wireless range would be to place one of the SONOS ONE's in the shed and test the system. One wild card with respect to wireless range could be the number of humans hanging out in the area. Humans are basically bags of water and water absorbs the wireless energy. It is possible that the system will work fine -- except during that large party with lots of water bags hanging around.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
, the operating temperature limits are: 32°F to 104°F (0°C to 40°C).

Humans are basically bags of water and water absorbs the wireless energy.

Thanks! The heat and humidity were my biggest concerns. The shed is good sized and stays bone dry from the elements but it does get hot in there. Suppose if it got too hot i could blow a fan on the Amp or may just force me to put in some A/C. 😂
When not in use, it can take heat up to 50 celsius. Unless that is crossed, it should be ok. I doubt you can listen to music in the shed when the temperatures are above 40 celsius; basically if you can deal with the heat without A/C, so can the amp.