Answered

New S2 app - what generation of Sub

Hi, I just see the new products email and wanted to know more. 
I found an article in WhatHiFi regarding your new products (Arc, new Sub, 5) and they showed a list of compatible devices with the new app (all mine where there thankfully) but they list a ‘gen1, gen2 and the new gen 3 Sub’?? I bought my sub in late 2018 so which version do I have??

I've see you say on a thread here before that there is only one generation of sub and now two so I’m a bit confused.

thank you

icon

Best answer by Ravica3 2 June 2020, 05:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Excellent question. I am also looking to get hw version numbers to identify which version of products do I have 

does any one know of a resource ? 

The change from gen 1 to gen 2 on the Sub was a minor cosmetic change. Which gen  you have is totally irrelevant. 

Here is a quote from Sonos website, around August 2016 (courtesy of Google)

“We've made some minor changes to SUB. The cosmetic changes include blacked-out trim and a smaller logo. SUB’s sound and hardware components remain the same."

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

I thought there was a very small uplift in memory from Sub Gen 1 to Gen 2.

I bought mine in early 2017 and I have Gen 2 according to this chart….

https://i.redd.it/obhfmqcsiyc41.png

But based on the date you bought it, I would guess it is a Gen 2

BUT All Subs are S2 compatible and have the same capabilities.

it was probably something along the lines of the slightly larger memory chips became cheaper than the smaller ones…. so it made sense to move to the larger chips

Cheers guys

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

Excellent question. I am also looking to get hw version numbers to identify which version of products do I have 

does any one know of a resource ? 

When you log into Sonos main website and in your account go to system it will show you which version Sub you have. I discovered I have a Gen 2 Sub.