Question

New router and mesh

Installed a new wifi router and connected my TP link M5 mesh satellites. Set up my existing Sonos system again (three Sonos play 1, one Sonos connect amp and a newer Sonos move). The app (s1) can't connect to the system. Got a feeling it has to do with the mesh, but not sure. It worked fine on the old router, and then i also used the same mesh system and a bridge ...

When I restart the router the Sonos system appears in the app, but still doesn't work. After a while they are gone again. Also have a bridge, but not sure if I need it anymore?. Still can't set it up because the app only asks for a boost (not bridge).

Any suggestions? So frustrating when it's not working...

Thanks in advance.

10 replies

Connect the BRIDGE with an Ethernet cable to the root device of your mesh system. There was no need to set them up again, they would have, and should just connect with the BRIDGE in the system. 

Conversely, you could leave the BRIDGE out of the equation, given their history with poor power supplies, and just wire one of your speakers to that root router device. It would act in the same way as the BRIDGE.

You could also replace the BRIDGE with the newer and better BOOST. 

orhelleland,

As a test, power down BRIDGE and wire one of the other players.

Thanks a lot guys. I took away the bridge, and cabled the connect amp to the router (they are next to each other). All Sonos speakers seems to work fine now. Do I need to have it cabled to the router or could I have it cabled to one of the mesh satellites as well? Will the one be better then the other?

I prefer connecting to the router or a wired switch because mysterious things can happen in the mesh.

Is the TP-Link mesh configured in bridge mode? If not then the network will be split and controllers connected ‘downstream’ of the primary mesh node won’t find a system connected ‘upstream’. And vice versa. 

After connecting the Sonos connect amp to the router yesterday, i automatically found three of my five Sonos speakers in the app. The other two were then added manually. Today, when i open the app, only the last two speakers are showing, not the first three (including the cabled speaker)…

I guess, if I restart the router they will all appear.

Any idea what causes this trouble, and what i can do to get it stabil?

For me it seems like maybe som speakers are connected to the router and some to the mesh satellites, and my phone (the app) chooses what's best.... Maybe i need to turn of wifi on the router while i use mesh satellites? No buttons for it but probably a solution still.

Put the TP-Link into bridge (access point) mode.

Put the TP-Link into bridge (access point) mode.

Could this be the change you suggest (see picture below, if you understand anything of it because of the Norwegian....)?

And if i change it, would there be some other drawbacks, because the app says the other one is the recommended one...?

Here’s the English FAQ https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1842/

Putting it in bridge (access point) mode means you can use the WiFi on your main router and/or wire the Sonos to the router. 

If you leave things as they are, the secondary router in the first mesh node will continue to divide your network into two separate subnets. 

It looks like the app is warning you not to enable bridge mode if your mesh is directly connected to the internet? You already have a main router between the mesh node and the internet, so bridge mode is fine.

After enabling bridge mode you’ll need to reboot everything in -- and connected to -- the Deco mesh. This is to ensure all devices get new IP addresses from the main router. 

Badge

Connect the BRIDGE with an Ethernet cable to the root device of your mesh system. There was no need to set them up again, they would have, and should just connect with the BRIDGE in the system. 

Conversely, you could leave the BRIDGE out of the equation, given their history with poor power supplies, and just wire one of your speakers to that root router device. It would act in the same way as the BRIDGE.

You could also replace the BRIDGE with the newer and better BOOST. 

I run the above setup via newer Boost on an Orbi Mesh and all is wonderful. I seemed to have various connectivity, latency, and syncing challenges in any other setup so I’m letting this ride. This is in a 1700 sq ft setup with walls  that hate WiFi. 2 subs (gen 2 and 3), arc and playbar, 2 Ones, Play 5 and newer Five, 2 new SYMFONISK bookshelves, Move, Boost, and a ConnectAmp running an older Bose Sounddock.   Sounds wonderful abs runs like a well oiled machine ! Good luck