New Play3 vs. Old Play3

• 22 April 2018
  • 5 replies

I have a old Play 3 that is connected with a Bridge. One month ago I bought an other Play3. This one didnt need a bridge at all. Do you know what the difference is between the old ones and the new ones. Is it a hardware change or is it a software change?
If its a software change, is it enough with an normal update?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
they are the same, the second one is most likely on sonosnet, that comes off the first play3 that is connected to the bridge.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Take a look at your network matrix and see how your devices are connecting. Likely both Play 3s are connecting to the Bridge but you may have one Play 3 connecting to the Bridge and the other Play 3 to it.

http://-your-sonos-ip-:1400/support/review

You may not need the Bridge at all with the newer Sonos firmware that allows you to use your home WiFi for connections or if you wire Ethernet to one of the Play 3s.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3046/kw/sonosnet

I'd keep the Bridge or wire one of the Play 3s myself so the Sonos gear uses SonosNet and not your home WiFi.
Hi and thanks for ypur reply
The 2 Play3s are in different locations with 550 km between and differnt internet suppliers so there is no connection between these 2
Strange
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi and thanks for ypur reply
The 2 Play3s are in different locations with 550 km between and differnt internet suppliers so there is no connection between these 2
Strange

You just answer your own question. Different environment. One environment is friendly and don't need the bridge, the other needs the bridge for it to work.
The Play-3 has not changed in any way. When you bought the first one the Sonos system required a wired component to work. This is no longer a requirement. That applies to both of your systems, but you might as well leave the Bridge alone as the system is working fibe.

The firmware change that bought this about applied to all existing components as well as new ones. It isn't really an environmental difference.