Question

My System Drops out

• 10 September 2019
  • 1 reply

I have a new Sonos system consisting of 2 Beams,one with 2 Play 1 as surrounds and 3 other Play 1's

I have a Sonos Boost connected to my router

The whole system randomly drops out. All speakers stop

The sonos app says" unable to play because server cannot be found"

The white light is illuminated on the boost. I have relocated it from the router room to room with the beam. I have replaced the ethernet cable.

The router indicates that the Boost is allocated an IP address.

The only way I can get the system to respond is to repower the boost.

It then works again for maybe 10 mins, maybe 2 hours then drops out and wont respond until another power cycle

Home wireless is on Channel 1
Boost is set to Channel 6
No neighbours nearby.

The boost is 1 week old

1 reply

So, what's the source of the music you're playing when it gives you that error? Is it a local source (NAS, computer HD, Android device?) or a music stream (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Google Play)?

Unfortunately, the router showing that an IP address is allocated to the BOOST at the moment you ran the report doesn't have much meaning in terms of what might be happening. Most (all?) routers only show what's connected at that moment in time, and don't give you a picture of what is using various IP addresses over time.

I'd start, at the very least, with unplugging the BOOST from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router come back up, plug the BOOST back in to the power. That should make sure that it has a valid and non-duplicated IP address.

How many miles between you and your neighbors? What does "nearby" mean? Wifi interference isn't, unfortunately, only from outside sources, occasionally there are inside sources. For instance, how far is your BOOST away from your router? Or any other electrical equipment?

I'm not saying that it's definitely wifi interference, I'm just suggesting that we can't rule it out yet, either. However, it's great that you've already separated the SonosNet network from your wifi channel.

Give my first suggestion a try. See if that helps/changes anything. Then, if it doesn't, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing a dropout, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.