Question

My System Drops out

• 10 September 2019
  • 5 replies

I have a new Sonos system consisting of 2 Beams,one with 2 Play 1 as surrounds and 3 other Play 1's

I have a Sonos Boost connected to my router

The whole system randomly drops out. All speakers stop

The sonos app says" unable to play because server cannot be found"

The white light is illuminated on the boost. I have relocated it from the router room to room with the beam. I have replaced the ethernet cable.

The router indicates that the Boost is allocated an IP address.

The only way I can get the system to respond is to repower the boost.

It then works again for maybe 10 mins, maybe 2 hours then drops out and wont respond until another power cycle

Home wireless is on Channel 1
Boost is set to Channel 6
No neighbours nearby.

The boost is 1 week old

5 replies

So, what's the source of the music you're playing when it gives you that error? Is it a local source (NAS, computer HD, Android device?) or a music stream (Apple Music, Amazon Music, Google Play)?

Unfortunately, the router showing that an IP address is allocated to the BOOST at the moment you ran the report doesn't have much meaning in terms of what might be happening. Most (all?) routers only show what's connected at that moment in time, and don't give you a picture of what is using various IP addresses over time.

I'd start, at the very least, with unplugging the BOOST from power, then rebooting your router. Once the router come back up, plug the BOOST back in to the power. That should make sure that it has a valid and non-duplicated IP address.

How many miles between you and your neighbors? What does "nearby" mean? Wifi interference isn't, unfortunately, only from outside sources, occasionally there are inside sources. For instance, how far is your BOOST away from your router? Or any other electrical equipment?

I'm not saying that it's definitely wifi interference, I'm just suggesting that we can't rule it out yet, either. However, it's great that you've already separated the SonosNet network from your wifi channel.

Give my first suggestion a try. See if that helps/changes anything. Then, if it doesn't, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing a dropout, and either post the number here, or contact Sonos Support to discuss it.

I usually suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available, but are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply.

I have been using the system every day since the above post 3 weeks ago, trying to isolate the issue. I can't check the reliability of the boost though

I have done as you suggested above. Nearest neighbours are 120 mtrs away.
The music source is internet streaming,usually tune-in.

What happens is the streaming stops and it occurs even when streaming from 2 different sources, ie some of the sonos on tune in and others on say radio app streaming source

The controller will not respond and comes up with a message " unable to play because server cannot be found"

The drop outs are random, sometimes system will stream overnight and sometimes for 5 mins.

If I don't reboot the boost the controller eventually responds again but maybe after 15 mins.

I have internet connection during this period as I'm able to stream say Tune in directly from my phone plus browse internet.
Co incidentally when I tried to generate a diagnostic report the controller would not respond other than saying "try again"

To me there appears to be some sort of issue with the new Boost.

Diagnostic number is 1530827097

Please help as I'm at wits end trying to persevere with my new setup

Chris
Chris,

Try this, goto ‘Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup' in the Sonos App and remove/reset your WiFi credentials. They are not required when running your Sonos system with a Boost.

Also maybe try the Boost on channel 11 instead. (‘Settings/System/Network’)

See how that goes.
And neighbors are only one possible source of interference, there's plenty of others covered in that FAQ.

And the inability to submit a diagnostic suggests that there is indeed something interfering with the ability of the speakers (where the diagnostic is generated) reaching the Sonos servers, where the data is deposited. Which aligns with their inability to maintain a connection to TuneIn.

It's important to note that each service has differing tolerances for disconnections, so when Amazon music works, and TuneIn doesn't, it only means that Amazon is more tolerant, not that there's not an issue.

The fact that it occurs when you've got two streams running is also a good indicator...although it also could be completely out of your network, and somewhere between your router and the servers in question.

That diagnostic was submitted within 10 minutes of getting one of these dropouts, correct? There's only so much data/time that can be bundled up in a diagnostic, so if Sonos were to be looking for the cause of the interference, it would need to be "there".

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a review by the Sonos Community Forum moderators of your diagnostic. If you'd rather not wait, you could contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, but they are only available Monday through Friday during business hours. Both the Twitter and Facebook support folks are available 24/7.

But if you take the more direct route, it would be nice to come back here and let us know what you find out :)

And a good suggestion from Ken_Griffiths, as well!

Thanks all for the assistance.

After weeks of frustration and little success after following all the help suggestions I came to the conclusion that the Boost is NOT suitable to have in the same room as the router where I had 3 metre separation from router (despite the Sonos advertising blurb saying it works in difficult wifi environments).

I bit the bullet and hired an electrician to run a cat 6 cable and power point up in the ceiling and one room away from the router.  The system now works as advertised.

Chris