Music Library Playback from a USB Flash Drive

• 1 August 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a Sonos system set up in my home with my music library stored on my PC. I have recently set up a second system at the cottage and I've been running it from my music library on my phone. The problem is that it's hard on my phone battery and a little wonky if you travel in and out of wifi range. What I'd like to do is run the cottage system off of a thumb drive so that it is easy to keep up to date and works independently without a cel phone.

I scoured the internet looking for a way to do this and found previous posts (old) that recommended the Cirago NUS1000 as a way to make this happen; however, it appears that this hardware is no longer available. Does anyone have another suggestion that will work? There may be other pieces of hardware that will do something similar to the Cirago NUS1000 but I hate to be the guinea pig to try it. I'm hoping someone else has done this successfully.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Many routers have a USB connection that allows your to connect a USB drive and share it to the network. This would be the easiest way to do what you wish.
Does anyone have a router that they know will work (easily) with the Sonos software with a minimal setup? Hopefully, something that is affordable since all it will be doing is working as a connection for my USB thumb drive.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Go with a $35 Raspberry Pi computer, add a few bucks for a case and power supply and you'll have a solid system. Mine has been working flawlessly for some time now. Setup is easy, they have a very good SAMBA tutorial available on line.