Answered

Multiple users one house one Sonos account?

• 28 December 2017
  • 7 replies

Bottom line: is it possible to have two, or more, controllers controlling different rooms at the same time on the same WiFi network?
ie: I control all rooms except “daughter.” Daughter has control of her own room with her phone but also has the ability to control all other rooms as well.
Setup: Connect Amp, Boost, PLAYBAR, 5X Play1s, 2X Play5s
icon

Best answer by controlav 28 December 2017, 15:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi A.Fin,

Welcome to the Sonos community.

Short answer is yes. Think of the controllers as a remote control, I have maybe 12 different controllers in my house.

Edit: Sorry I did not read the question correctly the first time. controlav is correct "no" not easily done.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
No. There is no practical limit to the number of controllers, but they all control every player on the same network. If you want one room totally separate, you will need to set up a separate subnet and put the player and your daughter's device on that separate network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
How it best works is the controller actually shows every room in the house no matter where located. So everyone has control of every speaker.

However, the controller remembers the user who was last using it. So if your daughter was last using her room then the controller comes up with her room in focus. Also if you have multiple logins with services it remembers them by controller.

So example if you have Spotify and you have your Spotify login and your daughter has her Spotify login. The controller on her phone remembers she is using her account and has all her playslists/favorites. And your controller remembers you are using your account and has all your playlists/favorites.

That way if your daughter has her phone in her room all her favorites for service show. And if she came to kitchen and played music there she would still be seeing her favorites etc.
I believe I did an awful job asking that question. But I think you (controlav) answered what I was trying to ask.

I set her up on my sonos account. However, I only set up her play1 on her phone. So she doesn’t have access to the rest of the house. On the flip side, I don’t have access to her play1.

Would love it if I could have two users on one account that could play different libraries on whatever different rooms they select, simultaneously, and still have the option to play every room from either device.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Echoing some of the above (and other threads), I & my family have several properties, each of which has various quantities of Sonos gear. It would be quite useful to have the ability to have multiple accounts, each with their own music services configs, in each and every location. In that way, User A can authenticate at Location X and see his/her own familiar music lists/services; and similarly User B can authenticate at Location Y and see his/her own lists. Thus later, User A, now in Location Y, and User B, now at Location X, would still see the correspondingly authenticated music lists/services. At present, it seems the Bridge or Boost caches only one user, and regardless of user ID, once one connects to the Bridge/Boost, all you can see is that user's settings.
Interesting to think about how such a request would be implemented. Right now, the majority of data is stored on the speakers. In order to implement what you want, they'd have to move that data from the speakers, and on to either the device (which might imply only one controller app per system, no longer allowing multiples), or into the cloud, which would require a substantial investment in cloud storage by Sonos in order to store all of the data associated. And then there is the associated security concerns with cloud storage, and the potential legal exposure of the company should your SSID and password be accidentally exposed.

While I completely understand your viewpoint, and need for something like that, I'm not sure that it's something that would be financially beneficial for Sonos to invest in, since it would be substantially expensive, and only affect a relatively small number of users. But then again, I don't have a crystal ball, and they could be working on such implementation as I write this. I don't run Sonos, either, so my perspective from the outside could be way out of line. Who knows.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Chris_50. The controller app already works like your saying

In the case of multiple properties - each property should have its own controller settings. When you start sonos from another properly other than your primary home. Set it up as a completely new system. Then when you switch between households the controller will switch between house settings completely.

This is much in the same manner as with going to a friends home. When you login to Sonos at a friends home your controller sees all of their music services and speakers (not yours). When you go home the controller automatically then sees your household not theirs.

Now if you take one of your Sonos units from an existing home and start the new home with that speaker - then your system thinks they are all in the same household and doesn't switch. Each house needs to have its own house id in order to switch and have each home show its own individual settings.

Your house ID should be your Sonos ID under About my sonos system.