Multiple SUBs with 5.1 setup

• 17 April 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I currently have a 5.1 Surround setup in my basement with Playbase, 2 Play 5 and a sub at the front.  Is it possible to add another sub in the back?  If not, is this something Sonos can add in the setup.  I’m not sure what the limitations are from a technical standpoint.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

2 subs are not currently supported.  Sonos has not stated this is a technical limitation that just can’t be done.  Perhaps this will change in the future, but nothing points in that direction.

I would add, that regardless of technical possibility, you are asking for something that is not foreseen in the audioformat used. You are looking to get 5.2 out of a 5.1 signal. I don't think sending the standard LFE from Dolby Digital to a second sub would result in the same effect as having an actual .2 signal (like with Atmos) output to two subs.

The simplest solution is to spread the .1 signal (in 5.1) sent in surround sound codecs to multiple Subs. It will be the same signal sent to each (in mono) which akin to using a Y-splitter on a HT receiver when there is only 1 subwoofer out. This should be a fairly simple software update AND Sonos could sell a LOT more Subs. I’m really dumbfounded why they have not done this yet...