Answered

Multiple Beams - Need individual setup

• 2 May 2019
  • 8 replies

I have a six suite hotel. Each suite is rented separate. One WiFi network. How to disable a suite to connect to another suite? Not good suite 1 guest can connect to neighboring guest in suite 2’s and control beam.
icon

Best answer by buzz 2 May 2019, 15:45

Are the BEAM's wired or wireless? Do guests share the same WiFi credentials? Give us a list of your network equipment model numbers. You may be able to setup a "VLAN" for each suite.
View original

8 replies

Are the BEAM's wired or wireless? Do guests share the same WiFi credentials? Give us a list of your network equipment model numbers. You may be able to setup a "VLAN" for each suite.
If it's a flat network the simplest option is to put each suite's speakers into a separate Sonos system (household). Guests in suite 1 wouldn't be able to connect a controller to speakers in suite 2 without physically pushing a button on the latter.
What do you mean “separate Sonos system”. Is this done at setup time?
Buzz, connection is wireless. However there is a direct wired option once electrician returns to complete. One building WiFi for all suites. I’m not onsite until this afternoon to provide model #s.
What do you mean “separate Sonos system”. Is this done at setup time?
Yes. You'd need to factory reset a Beam, reset a controller, then set them up together as a "new system".

Rinse and repeat for each of the other suites.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Our of curiosity, how are you intending to allow guests to control the Beam? TV operation will be simple, but will you enable voice control (which will require a separate amazon account for each)? Do you intend for guests to download the Sonos app onto their personal devices? Will you be providing a device for them during their stay?
Terri93424,

One option is to tether an iPad or Android in each suite. You can put them into "Kiosk Mode" with the SONOS controller as the only function. You may receive complaints about this because guests will not easily be able to use their personal music service accounts. Further, unless the personal account is removed after a guest checks out, the next guest(s) will be able to use the account.

If BEAM is used only as a TV audio enhancement, BEAM can be setup to automatically turn ON with the TV and no suite specific SONOS controllers are required. Guests would simply use the TV or Cable Box remote to control Volume. If this is an attractive mode, we can suggest some configuration settings that will prevent Guests from mucking with the setup.

Allowing Guests to use their own pad/phone for control would be an administrative mess for you because each guest would require some hand holding during setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
To be perfectly honest, I don't think the Beam is a great option for a hotel room. A soundbar that has bluetooth capabilities will allow guests to connect their phones to the speaker pretty easily. I also imagine that some guess will not care for the built in microphone on the Beam, even though they can manually turn it off (if you even connect to Alexa)