Answered

Moving Sonos One speakers between 2 different WiFi networks

• 20 March 2019
  • 8 replies

I purchased a Sonos One Gen 1 speaker last year which was connected to a WiFi network. I just purchased a Sonos Gen 2 speaker which I connected to a different WiFi network. They were working just fine on each of the WiFi networks that they were connected to. I tried to connect the Gen 1 to the same WiFi network that the Gen 2 was connected to. After going through the documentation and connecting the Gen 1 to the network via ethernet, I eventually got this to work though I am not sure I could easily repeat this process if I had to from memory.

Can you please clarify the process of adding a new Sonos speaker to a WiFi network that has previously been connected to another WiFi network?

If I wished to move one of these speakers back to the original WiFi network, how would this be done?

Can Sonos speakers be configured so that they can be easily moved between different WiFi networks and work seamlessly without having to perform reconfiguration steps each time?
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 March 2019, 16:00

Matty72,

I think in your case perhaps the easiest and quickest method is to simply factory reset the speaker and then simply add it to the new, but existing, Sonos network device using the “Add player or sub” feature in the Sonos Controller App that’s attached to the new WiFi network.

There are several other ways...

You could cable the original speaker on the 2nd network to put it into 'Boost/Wired mode' and then power off/on the new speaker near to that WiFi/SonosNet network signal, ensuring its out of range of the original WiFi network. Not that’s the best method, particularly if the WiFi signals are closeby to each other.

Or you could cable the speaker to the original or new router and go into Advanced Setup/Wireless Setup of the Sonos App and enter the new WiFi credentials for the new network, before powering down the speaker, uncabling it and moving it where you want it to run on your new WiFi.

So there are several ways, but sometimes if you are just shifting the one speaker, I think you may find it quicker just to factory reset it.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Matty72,

I think in your case perhaps the easiest and quickest method is to simply factory reset the speaker and then simply add it to the new, but existing, Sonos network device using the “Add player or sub” feature in the Sonos Controller App that’s attached to the new WiFi network.

You could cable the original speaker on the 2nd network to put it into 'Boost/Wired mode' and then power off/on the new speaker near to that WiFi/SonosNet network signal, ensuring its out of range of the original WiFi network. Not that’s the best method, particularly if the WiFi signals are closeby to each other.

Or you could cable the speaker to the original or new router and go into Advanced Setup/Wireless Setup of the Sonos App and enter the new WiFi credentials for the new network, before powering down the speaker, uncabling it and moving it where you want it to run on your new WiFi.

So there are several ways, but sometimes if you are just shifting the one speaker, I think you may find it quicker just to factory reset it.
Matty72,

Thanks Ken. I tried to factory reset the speaker by powering off, holding down the pause button, powering on and continuing to hold down the pause button but the light didn't turn green as I was expecting. How can a device factory reset be performed?

The 2 WiFi signals are not close by so in this case does it make the ethernet method more feasible?

When I connected the original Gen 1 speaker to the network that the Gen 2 speaker was operating on via ethernet and went into Advanced Setup-->Wireless Setup in the Sonos app, it just kept coming up with a screen asking me to repeat the process and I couldn't progress.
A couple of observations:

1. If these were set up independently on two different networks then I think they must be two separate Sonos systems. So the normal advice for changing wifi network is not appropriate here, unless you want the speakers to operate as separate systems on the same wifi. I shall assume not, because that would be daft. Therefore Ken's advice to factory reset the one you want to move was indeed the best advice - you have to deal with having two systems, not just two wifis.

2. You didn't factory reset properly. On the Sonos One you reset using the 'connect' button, not the pause button. Best try again.
See this link for the factory reset procedure for Sonos devices...

Factory resetting a Sonos product

Or before moving the speaker, cable it to its own original router and using a mobile Sonos controller that is connected to the speakers original WiFi network, goto Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and follow the onscreen instructions to enter the NEW WiFi credentials (SSID/Password) (note they are case sensitive). Give it a few moments to accept the new settings then power the speaker off, uncable it and move it over to somewhere near the new WiFi signal and power it on. If you entered the details correctly it will join the new WiFi network.

If that fails for any reason (ie. you have perhaps mistyped the WiFi credentials, for example), then you can also cable the speaker to the NEW router and once again using the Sonos Controller that is now attached to this new network, you can once again goto Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup and follow the onscreen instructions to enter the NEW WiFi credentials (SSID/Password), then uncable it to let it run on the new WiFi signal.

Hope that helps ?
Ah, John B beat me to it ... thanks John.?
I agree with John B and still think the factory reset is the much easier and quicker option, saves repeatedly moving and cabling things.
I agree with John B and still think the factory reset is the much easier and quicker option, saves repeatedly moving and cabling things.And I am not convinced that anything short of factory resetting the speaker that is being moved would fully resolve the situation anyway.
I agree with John B and still think the factory reset is the much easier and quicker option, saves repeatedly moving and cabling things.And I am not convinced that anything short of factory resetting the speaker that is being moved would fully resolve the situation anyway.Thats true also John, it’s slightly difficult with just one speaker on each wifi network .. much easier If both the Sonos Households were already each running on SonosNet. So the safe bet is to factory reset, I agree.?