Question

Moving from gen 1 to gen 2? Home Theater help

• 19 October 2020
  • 12 replies

Badge

Hello all…..I currently have an old Bose sound bar and sub and Samsung TV, that was purchased many years ago and supplies audio/video in my viewing room. I want to go to an all Sonos system, as I have (5) play 5’s gen 1, throughout the rest of the house. I also have 2 new Sonos amps, one which is currently supplying power to (2) B&W floor loudspeakers in another part of the house.  Now here’s the dilemma. If I go to a Sonos surround system in my viewing room, I understand that I cannot use the gen 1 play 5’s as rears. I would also like to bi wire by B&W’s but cannot do that with the Sonos amps. I can use the B&W’s as 3rd party speakers to the new TV I will be getting in the viewing room (using one of the amps) and just not have a surround system, or purchase new gen 2’s as rears for the  Sonos surround...which I would rather not do. Does anyone see other option to this?...any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Sonos One SLs are fine for surrounds. Many people believe that the Five is OTT for surrounds in most cases.

Userlevel 7

@Martimulligan

@John B is correct. Just one more point to consider. If you are going to use a Sonos Amp to supply power to 3rd party speakers up front in a home theater setup you might consider using Sonos One’s as surrounds. Granted they are more expensive than the One SL’s but they will provide Alexa or Google voice assistant even when used with the Sonos Amp. Using an Arc or Beam with Sonos One’s the voice assistant feature is removed thus making Sonos One SL’s the better/economical choice. The alternative if you want to have a voice assistant in the room is to purchase an Echo Dot or Google Home Mini.

Badge

I guess I should have asked if I can use my existing Gen 1 play 5’s as surrounds with the Arc? I’ve been told that they will not work and need to get Gen 2 speakers. Seeing as I have 5 play 5’s in the house, I thought I’d just use two of them as the rears.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Martimulligan 

You cannot use Play 5 Gen 1’s as surrounds as they do not have a 5Ghz card.

Badge

OK thanks…now the next theory. If I use one of my amps,connect 2 third party speakers and a sub to my TV, can I use my play 5’s as the surrounds?

Userlevel 7

OK thanks…now the next theory. If I use one of my amps,connect 2 third party speakers and a sub to my TV, can I use my play 5’s as the surrounds?

Same answer as before...No...there’s no way to use Play 5’s (gen 1) as surrounds.

As @AjTrek1 mentioned,  it is not possible to use gen 1 Play:5s as surrounds and never has been.

Badge

OK thanks gentlemen…how about if I substitute gen 1 play 1’s for the play 5’s as surrounds…..will that work?

There isn't really a gen 1 Play:1, just a Play:1. Yes they would work and can probably be picked up relatively cheaply on eBay. 

Userlevel 7

Yes, Play 1’s will work as surrounds. You should also beware that you are between territories when mixing S1 products (Play 5 gen 1) that are not compatible with the S2 controller. Read the info in the link so that you fully understand the ramifications and how to keep your system working as you like.

If you decide to continue with S1 products (incompatible with the S2 controller) you have two options:

• Negate S2 products (i.e. Sonos Amp) from receiving improvement/feature updates
  • Setup a split system
Badge

Thanks AjTrek1...this is all Greek to me, but I’m starting to get it. I’m kinda between a rock and a hard place with what I currently have,( 5 gen 1 play 5’s and two gen 2 amps), the $$$ invested so far and what to do for the future. Currently I’m streaming music through my 5’s and the 2 Third party B&W 604’s  throughout the house using one of the amps. I keep getting update messages on the app and am afraid to even read about them as I understand I could screw up the works.I have been out of this audio stuff for a long time and am a bit baffled by it all….not to mention the B&W’s can be bi-wired which is an itch I want to scratch but cannot do it with the Sonos amps.!!!???

Badge

OK Aj….I’m getting update messages on my S1 app. If I update, will it mess up the amp and the 2 third party speakers I’m currently running with my Play 5’s?