Answered

Mixed wired-wireless home theater system

• 18 January 2019
  • 1 reply

I would like to implement home theater system in the new flat, but on the opposite to the current flat, I do not want nasty long cables to the surround and rear speakers anymore! I would like to implement a scenario with wired front/center/sub and only for surround adopt a wireless connection. Wireless is not a way for front/center because of quality audio, but for surrond I can accept it. This could also be a good opportunity in order to be ready for multiroom audio in the future. My understanding I need a Sonos Connect connected to the AV receiver and 2 o 4 surrond Sonos speakers, could be Play:1 or Play:3 , or even Play:3 and Play:5. Question is: there will be delay ? Anyone experienced such a mixed configuration ?
Thank you
Marco M.
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 18 January 2019, 14:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

You won't be able to mix Sonos and non-Sonos equipment the way you wish. You won't be able to use Sonos speakers as surrounds to your AV receiver. You can only setup Sonos speakers (2 only, not 4) as surrounds if your front channels are done with a Sonos playbar, playbase, beam, or Sonos Amp. Since you want to have to have wired speakers in the front, the Sonos Amp might be what you're looking for. It does not have true center channel, but does do a phantom center channel.

To add clarification to what the Connect is for, it's purpose is to send an audio signal between your AV system and the Sonos multiroom system and steaming service. It only handles stereo audio. It doesn't allow you to use your AV certain channels of 5.1 audio, and Sonos speakers for other channels.