missing playlists

• 22 September 2021
  • 9 replies

I bought a new iMac in June. Ever since, I am unable to import my playlists from Music (formerly know as iTunes/Not Apple Music streaming) into Sonos. I’ve read many articles and had several calls to both Apple and Sonos, and still have the same problem 3 months later. Has anyone had a similar issue and have you found a way to successfully resolve it? Thanks in advance for any help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi

You must first set Apple Music as a service on theSonos App. If already setup you may have to re-authorize Apple Music on your device. 

Hi, AjTrek1-

Thanks for your reply. I’m not a subscriber to the Apple Music service. I just need for Sonos to be able to import the playlists I’ve created in Music (formerly iTunes) the way it used to do. It’s importing my music library but not my playlists. 

I think you need to explicitly export them as .xml files in order for them to be ‘seen’ by Sonos.

Hi, Airgetlam-

Thanks for your response. That seems to be the answer that I see most often, but I’m unsure how to do this. Need to know the steps involved. Thanks again for your help!

I’m nowhere near my Mac currently, nor, frankly, have I opened the Music app in more than a year, but as I recall, when the app is open, on the same  menu pull down as “save” is an item that says something like ‘export library to .xml” or something along those lines. Save that file in the same folder as your music, and rerun the Sonos library scan. With the .xml file there, it should pick up your various playlists. 

Note, this is all memory. I haven’t messed with Apple’s music app since shortly after they deprecated iTunes. I became frustrated that once again, Apple chose to go in a non-standard way of dealing with things, seemingly for no real reason than making life difficult for non-Apple companies. 

Hi, Airgetlam-

Thanks so much for your reply. I am sad to say that I agree with your assessment of Apple and the post iTunes Music app. I will attempt the steps you outlined to see if I have anymore luck. I attempted something similar before but it was unsuccessful. I’m curious—are you using some other music player? 

Heh. I use Sonos. I point it to the location on my NAS where at one point I had Music copy all of my files, and Sonos plays them. I don’t use Apple’s Music app at all.

Or, I should say, I haven’t. Procured a few CDs recently that wouldn’t be in database to download, so I’ll either fire up Music, or some other CD player/reader/scanner software to create the necessary files in the NAS location, and then have Sonos rescan it. 

I used to work for Sony. I got tired of the whole “well, it has to be our way or the highway” kind of thing that these larger corporations seem to want. I’m a proponent of more open standards. No Betamax, MiniDisc, SACD, memory sticks, etc, for me. 

As much as I do like Apple, their constant “we must own the world” stick gets annoying to me. That being said, I’m sticking with my iOS and MacOS devices….

If you have any suggestions re some other CD player/reader/scanner software, I’m all ears. I’m a Mac enthusiast since forever. A new computer should be a happy thing. This issue is driving me crazy! Thanks again for your help and your thoughts. 

Not offhand, I thought I’d cross that bridge when I reached it. Frankly, pretty much any software out there should be able to output a music file that can be read by Sonos. Sonos reads a pretty wide variety of data formats. The Sonos system just needs to see where the files are, it doesn’t really care what app created the files.