Answered

Mining the from Sonos to help solve a crime

• 6 October 2019
  • 8 replies

Badge +1
Hi

My house was burgled. They took 2 x Play Ones, which were set up as surrounds. Will my Sonos system be able to help me find out what time I was burgled? Will the playbar or sub have logged when they couldn't find their friends anymore?

thanks
icon

Best answer by jgatie 6 October 2019, 00:32

Hi

My house was burgled. They took 2 x Play Ones, which were set up as surrounds. Will my Sonos system be able to help me find out what time I was burgled? Will the playbar or sub have logged when they couldn't find their friends anymore?

thanks

You need to tell your local police to get in touch with Sonos, they will only help through official channels. This prevents false claims by a jilted spouse, partner, etc.
View original

8 replies

Hi

thanks

You need to tell your local police to get in touch with Sonos, they will only help through official channels. This prevents false claims by a jilted spouse, partner, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Interesting suggestions all around!

Sorry to hear about the trouble, makker99. I marked jgatie’s post above as the correct answer, because the best thing to do here is contact the police, and through them, we can try to assist. There’s not much information that our team can provide directly to you, but we may be able to provide the proper authorities.

You can contact our support team to start a ticket as well, though they can’t give you much information, you could give the police the reference number for the incident with us, and they can use that to coordinate.

Good luck!

More importantly, can Sonos identify when they are set up in a new system? I would have thought this would be possible.

I would run a system diagnostic now, take a note of the number and contact Sonos directly.
Badge +1
Thanks.

But what if i just want to see at what time the surrounds were disconnected from the rest of the system? Can i get that information from my Sonos system?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you submitted a diagnostic within a few minutes of the theft it might be in the data there. I doubt they would have any other info on the disconnection. Your router logs might be of some use if you look at DHCP requests, that is if you have fairly short renew intervals.

What Sonos might be able to share with your police departments are things like the IP address the crooks hook your Sonos to or any identity information they enter trying to get them to work.
Send a diagnostic as soon as possible -- especially if you don't have easy records of the serial numbers. You can also look in the "About ... " section of your controller because most of the serial number might still be listed for the missing units. You can also go to http://[IP Address]:1400/support/review. [IP Address] is the address of a player that you can read from the "About ...]. Fragments of serial numbers might be present here, but you'll need to dig for them. Serial numbers are the unit's MAC Address with a few more characters tacked on.

SONOS will also have the serial numbers in your profile.

You should change the passwords on any music service accounts because the accounts will still be active in the stolen units unless the units have been factory reset. Or, if you want to mess with the thieves, you could keep your accounts, especially Spotify because Spotify willl only allow play from one location at a time. You'll know if the other location starts playing because your location will stop. You can then stop their location.

In theory it would be possible to track down a unit that is online, but I don't know if the Police and SONOS will be willing to commit the resources to do this. Your insurance company might commit the resources.

---

Edit: I reread your first post. Since the PLAY:1's were set as surrounds, they will be a pain to deal with until they are factory reset because they will be looking for your PLAYBAR.
Badge +1

Thanks for the info, all

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Depending upon your networking gear, you may also be able to look at logs to see when it went offline.