Answered

Mic Free Arc?

• 1 December 2020
  • 10 replies

Will there ever be a version of the Arc without a microphone? We don’t do big brother listening devices in our home.

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 2 December 2020, 18:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I wouldn’t expect so. While I respect your choice, my guess is there isn’t a large enough market for such a device to make it worth Sonos spinning up a different line, along with all the other ancillary costs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

In addition to Bruce's comments, the mic will only be activated if you enable Alexa or Google Assistant on the Arc.

And you can disable the microphone anyway.  The ‘microphone activated’ light is hard-wired to the microphone so that it is not possible, even through a software update, to have the light off and the microphone on.  Sonos have used this approach on all their voice-activated speakers, so as to reassure people who share your concerns.

An Arc with the microphone light off is an Arc without a microphone for all practical purposes.  That is why I believe the chances of Sonos building a separate product that does not contain a microphone are not slim, but zero.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Well here you are, exclusive to Costco an ARC without microphones! The Arc SL

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/2/22011112/sonos-arc-sl-no-microphone-now-available-costco

Well, shows what I know :)

Badge

Will there ever be a version of the Arc without a microphone? We don’t do big brother listening devices in our home.

Yes, it’s called Sonos Arc SL.  Limited availability as it only just came out like now lol.

Good heavens, I’d not expected that!

Userlevel 7

Yeah...it appears to be out there...The Arc SL. You can even search it on the Sonos website and it comes back as the “Arc SL Shadow” although no info is provided.

Sonos | Wireless Speakers and Home Sound Systems

I wouldn’t be surprised if the mics are still inside the unit and just permanently turned off via a firmware coding. That also would mean they could be turned on again which makes sense to reduce production costs of producing internally different hardware units.

Would have been nice to have seen an announcement for LPCM integration for the Arc. Heck… a $50 savings. IMO one must be on a very tight budget to need the $50. So you buy the mic-less Arc and add a sub and SL surrounds to say you saved $50??? Just don’t activate Alexa or Google.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

We don’t do big brother listening devices in our home.

So you don’t have a mobile phone? They have mics too.

Will it be available on the website anytime soon? 

Thanks