Question

message re Sonos no longer supporting playing music from ipad library

• 14 July 2019
  • 9 replies

Badge
What’s with the removal of this service. I’ve bought 2 extra speakers for that sole purpose.
Have I misunderstood?

9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
what message have you received?
Badge
When I go to play music from my library on my iPad I get a message saying I will no longer be able to Play music this way soon.
i cannot remember the exact message but will try to get it to pop up again. I’ve turned off auto updates to try to stop it
Badge
This feature will soon be removed from the Sonos app.
Reads as if I will need a music streaming service which I don’t want or need
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
If it’s this one: https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585 then you’ve not misunderstood.

But there are several solutions available. It’s only the option to play music stored on your iPod that’s going. You can still use the iPad as a controller, and play music stored elsewhere, such as a Mac or pc.
But for those of us with a large music library, and lots of playlists, we can no longer play those playlists. I've tried repeatedly to import them into Sonos. No luck. even though I have access to the music in my library, there's no credible way to manage and play them in the way I listen to them. the "On this iPhone" was a hugely helpful workaround, I have no idea why they are discontinuing the feature but if it's as Joanna07 says below it's for cynical reasons and that's a huge bummer.
This feature will soon be removed from the Sonos app.
Reads as if I will need a music streaming service which I don’t want or need
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
In the other thread, which now runs to 23 pages, there are several options that have been offered up by other Sonos users, which have been discussed at length.

The bottom line is that the play from this device is ending for iPhone and iPad.

There are alternative ways to play your music. They won’t suit everyone. But one or other of the solutions will suit most Sonos owners.
Badge
I have no Mac or PC. I bought this 4 speaker system for this very reason....to play music from my iPad music library around the house.
It will become virtually useless to me. I refuse to pay for a music streaming service I don’t need.
It’s a big let down
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I don’t wish to sound unsympathetic, but will just refer you again to the other thread, and suggest a free Google Play Music account might be your solution.

Good luck, and goodbye.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
What players do you have?
Play on this device was removed as Apple airplay is now supported.

Unfortunately, only newer Sonos players suppprr. airplay.