Managed Switch

• 22 February 2019
  • 33 replies

Badge +1
After 6 calls into Sonos I was told to get a managed switch to resolve the sudden loss of both Tidal and Spotify- the solution is/was unplugging the router wait 10 sec and all is good of a few hours days.

Long story short I was told by the Sonos guys my Boost was veering way too much data and therefore I needed a managed switch to resolve

Sonos would not provide a make or model just as long as it had the “snooping feature”. The setting provided where if no help

Now I’m told I need to get ahold of a senior engineer

Anyone one here have a NETGEAR managed switch? What settings are you using?

Thanks

Btw never had this issue till
Moving to a new home

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi erumsas1962

I use a NETGEAR Nighthawk S8000 Gaming & Streaming Switch. Here are my settings;

Dedicated Boost on Port 1
DoS enabled
Switch Discovery All Modes On
QoS set to Port Based
Broadcasting Filtering On
Sonos Boost QoS_High
No VLAN's set
MultiCast_only IGMP Snooping set to ON
Link Aggregation set to OFF
DHCP set to Auto
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I use a GS105Ev2 and haven't changed any settings after unboxing it (except the password).

I have no idea why Sonos support would recommend a managed switch, esp to get music services back. Seems a bizarre suggestion, unless it is purely for the snooping feature in order to debug it further. (Snooping is why I actually got my managed switch, but it wasn't suitable for my reverse-engineering so I snoop Sonos packets a different way).
Badge +1
Thanks to both of you. I have the same NETGEAR switch and I stil have dropped streaming services. The only way to reconnect is to unplug the router count to 10 than all is good. Till the next time.

Sonos support was adamant about getting a managed box with snooping. It is enabled. Still I lose all streaming services. Updated the switch to the above suggested setting. Still no good.

Made changes to the router,switched cables, moved the Boost away from said router.

Appears from the sonos tech I have a ton of data the overwhelms the Boost. Tried changing the Sonos channels etc. nothing works. Streaming services fail
erumsas1962,

How many SONOS units are wired to your network?

Go to http://[IP address of a player]:1400/support/review and click on the bottom entry. This shows the network connections. Red cells are drawing your attention to problems. Note that this is not a real-time display. After making a change, refresh the page.
Badge +1
Only have a Boost connected to my network
Badge +1
Does not work with Boost
Userlevel 7
Does not work with Boost

Based upon your comment something is drasticaly wrong. If you are using a Boost then all Sonos should show as being in Boost (wired) mode. Go to Settings > About My Sonos System you should see all components showing WM:O which indicates Boost (Wired) mode. Other Modes are:

WM:1 = WiFi network (Wireless)
WM:2 = surround/sub speakers in a 5.1 setup while the Playbar/Playbase is WM:1

You may be running is a mixed mode which generally causes problems unless you have the skills to set it up properly.

If you are not in a mixed mode (meaning all components show WM:0) is it possible to wire another Sonos component to your router. I'm only suggesting this because I assume (short of performing a Factory Reset on your Sonos) you have done all the basic trouble shooting including taking down your network and setting up everything from ground zero. :?
Does not work with Boost
What? The network matrix link? That doesn't work on a Boost or Bridge.
NB: It's http://[IP address of a player]:1400/support/review
Badge +1
All components are shown as WM: 0. I have also taken the system down (factory reset) and reconnected. That cleared up an old router that my playbar was trying to connect - also adjusted the router setting by way of sonos support guidance.

I noticed now that my music services will reappear without me having to reset the router. For example 11:30 pm no misuse services now at 8:45am everything is back.
All components are shown as WM: 0. I have also taken the system down (factory reset) and reconnected. That cleared up an old router that my playbar was trying to connect - also adjusted the router setting by way of sonos support guidance.

I noticed now that my music services will reappear without me having to reset the router. For example 11:30 pm no misuse services now at 8:45am everything is back.
Which router make/model is it? Do Sonos have it on their Hardware incompatibility list?

Sonos and Incompatible Hardware
Badge +1
The router is through my cable provider. No make or model number is aviable - Sonos is aware of the router so far no incompatibility issues found
Badge +1
So the senior tech from sonos changed the DNS “address” on the router. While Sonos worked however EVERY connect device could not locate the router

Lessons Learned

Write down the old DNS address so when some senior semis support tech tells you it’s fixed and it fucks up YOUR WHOLE NETWORK- you can restore your network

Don’t brother redialing the number the senor Sonos tech called you on or bother sending an email They disappear 10 sec after they hung up the phone

Don’t believe the Sonos tech that tells you you need a managed switch only to be told by the Senior tech you don’t

So back to square one.
erumsas1962,

Usually your DNS servers are stated on the ISP website, or in their literature, but a reset of the router will usually fix it anyway. Google’s public DNS servers like 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 are often the fallback for many folk.

I don’t understand why a change of DNS would prevent other local network devices seeing your router .. that’s strange in itself?

I was personally quite surprised by the suggestion that a managed switch would likely fix your dropout issue. I think many here would recommend an unmanaged one and if the router is incompatible in some way, looking at the hardware incompatibility list, it’s often a wireless access point that’s occasionally suggested as a very last resort, rather than a switch and to attach things to the WiFi on the access point... that’s not something I would do in any-case. I would rather switch ISP, or switch the existing incompatible router into 'modem mode' or 'bridged mode' and add my own compatible wifi router.

I’m quite fortunate that my ISP Router works fine with Sonos.

I think if you cannot find the make/model of your current router, then ask your ISP for it. I would also search the forum here and elsewhere for your ISP details and see if anyone else has the same dropout issue. There maybe a simple way to fix it with a change of a setting in the router configuration pages.

I’m really surprised that if Sonos Support have stated that it’s your router supplied by your ISP, that Sonos have not added it to their hardware incompatibility pages and reached out to the ISP/Manufacturer to perhaps try to resolve the issue with updated firmware.

Have you tried looking for your router in Google images to try to track down its make/model?... knowing that, would at least be a start to understanding what the issue is with that router.
Badge +1
The make and model number of the router is as follows
Askey Wave 2. Modem: Arris TM1602A MTA
FYI guys, there is another topic on the subject.
The make and model number of the router is as follows
Askey Wave 2. Modem: Arris TM1602A MTA
see this link

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-can-t-be-found-with-new-arris-dg1670-router-and-airport-extreme-6368356

The last post in the thread mentions turning off the router 'extra' firewall setting, it maybe worth a try to see if it resolves the problem, or at least consider lowering the security level if it is set too high. If it does then I would mention it to your ISP to see if they can fix the issue permanently at their end with a firmware update.
Badge +1
Called the ISP. Changed the Radio Channel from 11 to 1.

Also recycled both the router and modem. The ISP suggested I do that weekly to flush out data.

Mentioned the Sonos issues and as I expected their response led me back to Sonos.

Reason being ALL connected devices from a wide range of providers operate - no issues

Only issue is with Sonos. Since I recycled both the modem and router we will see if this issue goes away.

No other firmware update is available for either the modem or router nor or their any changes ( other the radio channel from 11 to 1 - which Sonos Tech had me change from 1 to 11 three weeks ago).
erumsas1962,

Post the network matrix here, obscure the MAC Addresses.

If the router needs to be rebooted once a week, replace it. A decent router will not need to be rebooted from one year to the next.
Badge +1
No idea what a “network matrix” is and why would I post it? I’ll stick to rebooting once a week for the time being. Already spent $$ on a secured network switch that I will be returning.
Badge +1
No changes. Still drops the music services (Spotify and Tidal)
No changes. Still drops the music services (Spotify and Tidal)Did you follow Bruce’s suggestion in your other thread here?

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/spectrum-internet-provider-6821056/index1.html#post16315238

I’m still not personally clear what router changes have been made to try to resolve your issue, or how your router was originally set to fixed channel 1, before Sonos Staff changed it to 11 and your ISP support desk changed it back to 1? The default setting, looking at the online router manual, is to 'auto-select' the WiFi channel on start-up.

It’s also not clear if your ISP Staff were made aware of your SonosNet channel, before they recently made their changes to the WiFi channel and switched things back to WiFi channel 1. I’m wondering why the ISP did not choose their own hardware default setting?

The fact your ISP Staff are now telling you to 'reboot your router once a week', is perhaps another reason to think there is possibly something wrong with their router... I mean what an odd suggestion that is, really!!, from the ISP Help desk. They really need to fix your issue properly and not suggest such unbelievable weekly 'workarounds' to solve these problems.

I would respectfully suggest you perhaps follow Bruce’s advice and Submit a Sonos System Diagnostic and then maybe Contact Sonos Customer Care Staff., though in fairness, the router and network side of things are usually your responsibility (as the administrator of the LAN).

It’s perhaps also notable that there are not, what I would call, 'droves of people' here, or online, complaining about the Tidal or Spotify music streaming services via the latest Sonos App update. That in itself infers it’s most likely a local network issue.

I personally don’t use either of those particular two streaming music services in my home, but I am able say that some of the others; Amazon Music service and the Google Play Service, plus the new YouTube Music streaming service are all working just fine at the moment... not that that really helps you, although the Sonos streaming service status page link is still inferring that ALL the Sonos streaming services are working okay everywhere at the moment and that includes both Tidal and Spotify.

See the Sonos Streaming Music Service Status Page here:

https://status.sonos.com/

I still think this will eventually turn out to be either an issue with your router, or even more likely, an issue with your local network setup, coupled possibly with some form of wireless network interference.
I was recently working with a system that had two resident iPads and periodically one or both would be locked out of WiFi. With no WiFi functionality, there was no way to control SONOS or anything else. In addition, there were some odd things happening with wired clients. The iPads were so thoroughly flustered that their WiFi needed to be reset. After the reset they would instantly sign on to the access point. This would usually happen over night. Incidents could be spaced days or weeks apart. My own iPad and wireless laptop never had any trouble while I was watching. Then my iPad was booted off of WiFi and a short time later my laptop was dumped. Neither of these devices have a history of trouble with WiFi at other locations.

The router was replaced several weeks ago and there has not been a single issue since.
Badge +1
No changes. Still drops the music services (Spotify and Tidal)Did you follow Bruce’s suggestion in your other thread here?

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/spectrum-internet-provider-6821056/index1.html#post16315238

I’m still not personally clear what router changes have been made to try to resolve your issue, or how your router was originally set to fixed channel 1, before Sonos Staff changed it to 11 and your ISP support desk changed it back to 1? The default setting, looking at the online router manual, is to 'auto-select' the WiFi channel on start-up.

It’s also not clear if your ISP Staff were made aware of your SonosNet channel, before they recently made their changes to the WiFi channel and switched things back to WiFi channel 1. I’m wondering why the ISP did not choose their own hardware default setting?

The fact your ISP Staff are now telling you to 'reboot your router once a week', is perhaps another reason to think there is possibly something wrong with their router... I mean what an odd suggestion that is, really!!, from the ISP Help desk. They really need to fix your issue properly and not suggest such unbelievable weekly 'workarounds' to solve these problems.

I would respectfully suggest you perhaps follow Bruce’s advice and Submit a Sonos System Diagnostic and then maybe Contact Sonos Customer Care Staff., though in fairness, the router and network side of things are usually your responsibility (as the administrator of the LAN).

It’s perhaps also notable that there are not, what I would call, 'droves of people' here, or online, complaining about the Tidal or Spotify music streaming services via the latest Sonos App update. That in itself infers it’s most likely a local network issue.

I personally don’t use either of those particular two streaming music services in my home, but I am able say that some of the others; Amazon Music service and the Google Play Service, plus the new YouTube Music streaming service are all working just fine at the moment... not that that really helps you, although the Sonos streaming service status page link is still inferring that ALL the Sonos streaming services are working okay everywhere at the moment and that includes both Tidal and Spotify.

See the Sonos Streaming Music Service Status Page here:

https://status.sonos.com/

I still think this will eventually turn out to be either an issue with your router, or even more likely, an issue with your local network setup, coupled possibly with some form of wireless network interference.
Badge +1
Thanks. After a few emails and calls. I will get another Sonos tech on the phone. Since installing the controller on my MacBook Air. I have no issues

It seems going to either one of our iPhones (wife’s phone) we have the same error message.
Thanks. After a few emails and calls. I will get another Sonos tech on the phone. Since installing the controller on my MacBook Air. I have no issues

It seems going to either one of our iPhones (wife’s phone) we have the same error message.

Check if 'WiFi Assist' is enabled on the iPhone(s), should be disabled.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296