Answered

Mac mini and apple TV No sound on movies

I have a Mac mini with movies on it that wirelessly streams to an Apple TV. The AppleTV is hooked into the Samsung TV via HDMI, and the TV is hooked into my new Playbar via Optical.

Under my setup pre Sonos this all worked fine, but since the Playbar, I get video on the movies, but no Audio.

Any help is appreciated.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 February 2019, 22:33

What's playing the movies? Is it an app on the AppleTV, or are you streaming video in some form from the Mac Mini using an application to play the movie there, and have the video show up on the AppleTV?

I suspect the ultimate answer that is causing the issue is that the sound that's being streamed in whatever manner isn't a Dolby Digital or Stereo stream, but instead some other audio codec. Which means that the Sonos wouldn't be able to interpret it. Take a look at whatever "player" device is operational, and make sure that the sound settings are set to Dolby Digital. On the AppleTV, it may not be in the app itself, but in the AppleTV's audio settings.

While you're poking around in audio settings, it might be worth looking at the Samsung's audio settings, and make that be Dolby Digital as well.

View original

2 replies

What's playing the movies? Is it an app on the AppleTV, or are you streaming video in some form from the Mac Mini using an application to play the movie there, and have the video show up on the AppleTV?

I suspect the ultimate answer that is causing the issue is that the sound that's being streamed in whatever manner isn't a Dolby Digital or Stereo stream, but instead some other audio codec. Which means that the Sonos wouldn't be able to interpret it. Take a look at whatever "player" device is operational, and make sure that the sound settings are set to Dolby Digital. On the AppleTV, it may not be in the app itself, but in the AppleTV's audio settings.

While you're poking around in audio settings, it might be worth looking at the Samsung's audio settings, and make that be Dolby Digital as well.
Thanks!

Tl;dr - check your audio codec and make sure it’s Dolby or another supported type.

Just to close the loop on this thread it was an audio encoding issue. I don’t know what the old codec was but I encoded the video with dolby and now it works.

My old setup was with a receiver that supported a lot of different audio options and so switching to playbar had the unanticipated effect of losing audio for these old videos.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings