Loading 10.0 onto iPhone

I have tried 20 or more times to load 10.0 onto my iPhone 7 but it always fails. I get error message 1013. The advice page tells me to move closer to my router, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. It also offers a link to a page on getting round a firewall, but that page appears not to exist. Consequently I can't use the Sonos app on my phone. I've been able to connect to the speakers using the Spotify app, but am unable to use them for anything else. I am quite happy to do without 10.0 and go back to whatever the previous version was, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Are you able to tell me how to get the 10.0 download to work?

17 replies

AndyWoodcock wrote:

I have tried 20 or more times to load 10.0 onto my iPhone 7 but it always fails. I get error message 1013. The advice page tells me to move closer to my router, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. It also offers a link to a page on getting round a firewall, but that page appears not to exist. Consequently I can't use the Sonos app on my phone. I've been able to connect to the speakers using the Spotify app, but am unable to use them for anything else. I am quite happy to do without 10.0 and go back to whatever the previous version was, but that doesn't seem to be an option. Are you able to tell me how to get the 10.0 download to work?

What do you mean by load 10.0 onto my iPhone 7 - the iOS app from the store or is the firmware update for the speakers failing?

It's a shot in the dark but disable the Wi-Fi assist option if it's enabled.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205296

If that doesn't help change the DNS settings on the iPhone.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/22/how-to-change-the-dns-server-used-by-your-iphone-and-ipad
And, try a hard reboot of the phone before attempting a re-install. That means powering it off completely for a minute, not just letting it "sleep".
What I mean is that I've had the Sonos app on my iPhone for about a year and it's worked fine, but over the past couple of months every time I've tried to use it I get a message saying "we need to update to 10.0" or something similar, and when I click OK it goes through five minutes or so of appearing to download something and then tells me it's failed and I should try again. I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling from the app store but I get the same result. And I've done a hard reboot multiple times with no joy.
Tried changing DNS & turning off Wifi Assist. Sadly neither worked. Thanks for the suggestions though.
As Bruce suggested restart the iPhone after deleting the Sonos App.
Tried delete/restart phone after 10 minutes asleep/ reload app, but same result - tells me I need to update to 10.0, fails to do so.
What Sonos devices and type of router setup do you have? Any wifi access points or extenders etc?
Also...Have you tried resetting the network settings on your iPhone and recreating your WiFi connection again?
Please provide a screenshot of Sonos App --> Settings --> About My Sonos System.
Error 1013 is a upnp 'gateway' error message ...just wondering if something is blocking access.

Things I would also perhaps try (in no particular order) ...

Turn off any firewall that’s installed on the iPhone or router... check and turn off any vpn or proxy server apps (if relevant).

Try switching switching on upnp in your router settings.

Change the DNS on the router and/or iPhone to use either 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 (Google open DNS servers).

Make sure the iPhone gateway is set to your routers IP address .. set it manually in your iPhone network connection settings.
I have two Play1s and a Play 3. The router is a Virginia Media Superhub that came with our home landline/TV/broadband package
The iPhone is a work phone which has Symantec Endpoint protection installed on it - I wonder if that's getting in the way?
AndyWoodcock wrote:

The iPhone is a work phone which has Symantec Endpoint protection installed on it - I wonder if that's getting in the way?

Yes, that’s most likely going to be it. Do you have another controller device you can try, that would rule out the local network settings and point things towards the phone itself?
Sorted it. I connected a speaker to the router by Ethernet cable and tried again, and it worked. Thanks for your assistance folks.
I thought it was your phone that was not downloading the updated app (software), rather than the speaker firmware. Oh well, my misunderstanding perhaps. Glad it’s now all sorted. ?
AndyWoodcock wrote:

Sorted it. I connected a speaker to the router by Ethernet cable and tried again, and it worked. Thanks for your assistance folks.

Was going to suggest this, glad you've sorted it.

@Ken, The Play:1 was still running v9.2; that's why I asked for the screenshot.
Smilja,

Ah yes I see the screenshot now. I was probably busy typing the other posts. Main thing is that it’s now all sorted for him, so no worries. ?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings