Answered

Lip sync with PS5 using Dolby

• 25 July 2021
  • 5 replies

I have the Sonos Arc, with two rear “one” speakers and a sub. Everything plays well and I get adobe atmos through my Apple TV.

My PS5 however has a audio delay (sound behind). The only way to fix it is to switch it from “dolby” to “PCM” which then takes the sound away from the rear speakers. 

I’ve scoured the internet with no luck. I have a LG tv with ARC not eARC. 

LG TV: OLED65C8PUA

Some say to change the option in the tv to say, “passthrough”, but mine only has “auto” or “linear pcm”

Some day to buy this: https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

But I don’t feel I need to purchase a $200 product to fix the lip sync. All the audio sync adjustments make the sound worse.

Any thoughts would be helpful. 😃

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 26 July 2021, 11:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Do you have the "AV Sync Adjustment" feature in your LG TV’s advanced sound settings? If so, then try adjusting the slider bar, or there maybe an option to also ‘bypass’ the audio within that feature. (See screenshot attached). Unfortunately it’s not on every LG model, but worth checking perhaps?

Also note the ‘bypass’ option needs to be enabled on each separate input and so you need to switch to the HDMI input for the PS5 and then enable it when that port is active.

Thanks so much for responding. I’ve tried the avsync adjustment and it made things worse. I also did the “bypass” and that didn’t seem to work either unfortunately. 

I’ve tried the slider in the Sonos app as well with no luck. 

what does “bypass” do exactly?

Thanks so much for responding. I’ve tried the avsync adjustment and it made things worse. I also did the “bypass” and that didn’t seem to work either unfortunately. 

I’ve tried the slider in the Sonos app as well with no luck. 

what does “bypass” do exactly?

It lets the audio bypass the TV without processing it - it’s the same as pass-through as far as I’m aware.. try enabling that on both the HDMI input you have the PS5 connected to and also on the HDMI port you have the Arc connected to aswell - see if that helps. I would perhaps also power everything off for 30+ seconds (not standby) to setup the port ‘handshake’ between the connected devices again.

I appreciate it Ken. I was excited to try what you mentioned. I enabled bypass on all HDMI inputs including the ARC port. I powered everything off for a few minutes and reconnected. It appears to still have a slight lag in sound. Very frustrating. 

I appreciate it Ken. I was excited to try what you mentioned. I enabled bypass on all HDMI inputs including the ARC port. I powered everything off for a few minutes and reconnected. It appears to still have a slight lag in sound. Very frustrating. 

Yes, admittedly I dislike lip-sync issues too. The Sonos device will obviously only play the audio as soon as it’s received from the PS5, so perhaps ensure the PS5 is set to use bitstream, rather than LPCM. Maybe consider swapping-out the PS5 HDMI cable in case that is the issue. You could even try the Arc connected to the TV’s optical port instead and using the Optical to HDMI adapter as some TV’s seem to sometimes work better over their optical connection, but it will limit the audio to DD 5.1

If all else fails, you may have to consider trying to bypass the TV altogether with the HDFury Arcana - I’m just surprised though that the LG by-pass option isn’t working for you🤔?