Question

Line In Delay

• 12 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Sonos are you guys ever planning on fixing the delay when using the Line In Analog input. I understand that there is no possible way of completely removing the delay but, as long as it's not noticeable. I wouldn't care. I currently bought so many Sonos Amps and now, I can't do one of the things I love most, Sing! I'm willing to buy a while new amp just to not have the delay. Are there any plans in fixing this?

4 replies

The delay is necessary in order to buffer the input for reliable streaming. It's probably not fixable, especially for bandwidth heavy PCM like the digitized line-in sources.
Unless you have TV as a source where the compressed mode caused delay causes lip sync issues that are jarring, when is this an issue?

The problem with no delay streaming of line in is either a Sonos design issue/constraint or a 2.4 GHz bandwidth one. And probably the latter seeing that this is dealt with well by the Sonos AV products on 5 GHz.
Ok I have
Unless you have TV as a source where the compressed mode caused delay causes lip sync issues that are jarring, when is this an issue?

The problem with no delay streaming of line in is either a Sonos design issue/constraint or a 2.4 GHz bandwidth one. And probably the latter seeing that this is dealt with well by the Sonos AV products on 5 GHz.

Alright, I have 2 Sonos Amps. I have one that is connected to the TV via HDMI ARC. I have the other amp as surround speakers for the TV. I have my mixer connected to the line in input and and the mixer has 2 Microphones thru a wireless receiver. I would like to avoid the delay of the voice when I speak in the Microphone. I use YouTube on my Apple TV to look for karaoke version of a song and now that I have the Microphones and mixer there's a noticeable delay so the voice is off from lyrics on screen. That's the issue I'm having.
See the reply on your other thread on the same subject.