Line-In

• 14 January 2021
  • 9 replies

I have a Cambridge Topaz CD10 CD player. With the old Sonos 1 amp, this worked perfectly. However, it does not show up on the Sonos 2 app. I suspect this is due to cable connection problems. Neither the existing cable nor an RCA cable I ordered from Sonos makes the right connection: the cable jacks do not make a sufficient connection in the amp input sockets.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

@Zigurds Make sure your new Amp is set up correctly in the Sonos S2 app. Follow these instructions: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4717?language=en_US

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The lower ones should fit according to RCA-kabels voor analoge apparaten | Sonos

Your Amp (not the app, because the app is only a remote to the Sonos devices) does not recognise the CD-player. Where do you go wrong in the steps on this page Lijningang gebruiken op Sonos | Sonos?

Thank you. There obviously was a misunderstanding. I have both the Sonos 2 app (gold) and a new compatible amp (like the one in @106rallye’s post). What I was trying to say was this: whereas my CD player was recognised by the Sonos 1 app and old amp as a line-in device, the same device is not recognised by the new app, whether I connect it to the new amp via the old cable or the Sonos RCA cable.

Here are the cables in question:

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Hi. I’m not sure what you’re telling me. Are you saying that any external line-in equipment bought before 2016 (such as my CD player) cannot be recognised by the Sonos 2 app? If so, that adds insult to injury. I have just had to spend over £500 on the new Sonos amp. Am I now going to have to spend £x00 pounds on a new CD player, just because Sonos has arbitrarily rendered non-Sonos equipment obsolete? 

Well that escalated quickly!!  We are trying to help here, please see 106rallye’s post so we can establish what Sonos kit you have.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think there's some misunderstanding about what Sonos device you are using. In you first post you talk about “the old Sonos 1 amp”. Since there's no such Sonos device both @GuitarSuperstar and myself assumed you where using an Connect:amp (Gen 1, so built before 2016). These devices cannot function with the S2 app.

I now understand you own a Sonos Amp, that you had on S1 software and are now running on S2 software. Am I right?

It seems strange to me an RCA-cable ordered from Sonos would not fit the Amp. Can you post a picture?

Hi. I’m not sure what you’re telling me. Are you saying that any external line-in equipment bought before 2016 (such as my CD player) cannot be recognised by the Sonos 2 app? If so, that adds insult to injury. I have just had to spend over £500 on the new Sonos amp. Am I now going to have to spend £x00 pounds on a new CD player, just because Sonos has arbitrarily rendered non-Sonos equipment obsolete? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Zigurds I think that's what @GuitarSuperstar is trying to tell you: a Gen 1 Connect:amp (built before 2016 - if that's what we are talking about) is not visible in the S2 app, because it can only work with the S1 app.

No. I’m using the S2 app.

Userlevel 7

Are you using the Connect:Amp (Gen 1)? If so, it is not compatible with the Sonos S2 app. Read more about it here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US