Answered

L-shaped living room, 2 Play5 set up as stereo but need support speaker.

• 20 September 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi all, I have a large L-shaped living room/kitchen. in the high end of the L I have two Play5 speakers vertically set up as stereo (although I just read they'll only play stereo when horizontal, is that correct?)

My main question is, in the low end of the L the sound of the speakers is very far away, and any stereo-effect is gone. (Note, the width of the L at the high end is about 4 meters, but the length is about 11 meters). I would like to get an extra Sonos speaker for my living room, but is there a way to combine yet another speaker to this setup, and which one should that be. I was thinking about a Play3, as the main concern is the sound in the high-end of the room.
icon

Best answer by John B 20 September 2017, 22:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi. Play:5s can be configured in stereo in either orientation. Any suggestion otherwise is rubbish. I think you should either group the speakers instead of stereo pairing. Or stereo pair them for serious listening in one part of the space (if you will ever do that) and place another speaker to cover the rest of the space.
And the 5 is far better than the 3. Keep it consistent.
So you're saying I could add a Play5 in the far end separately (but part of the same room setup) and have the existing two in place as stereo pair?
Room is just a label in Sonos. The extra speaker would be a separate 'room' but could be grouped to play in sync when required. And FWIW stereo can be a bad thing if you are moving around and rarely in the sweet spot.
Thanks!